Lubricating spring shackles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Lubricating spring shackles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 12:16 pm:

With the rear end out of my car, an overall inspection showed severe wear on the spring shackle bushings. I have no idea how long they had been in service, but all were pretty much shot. Also, the oil passageways in the shackle bolts were clogged with dried lubricant/dirt.

So now the joints have new bushings and cleaned-out passageways.

On reassembly, it crossed my mind that this is a joint that would probably benefit from grease rather than oil. I did lightly grease them on assembly, but put in the standard oil cups for future lubrication.

Does anybody else out there think that this is an area that would be better served by grease rather than oil ? If so, why or why not ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

This has been talked about before, but your right, many thoughts on this.

Mine is with the crowd of a flowing oil will more effectively get to all the parts. I personally just use motor oil.

Grease would be ok, if you could control the spill out from the ends of the bushings so as to redirect it around the shaft of the shackle. What I'm trying to say is if you pump grease in there, it will only fill the voids between the shackle and bushings which may not be the actual wear points of those two parts.

Again, all my opinion of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

Chain saw oil will flow but will last longer than motor oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 12:49 pm:

Yes, I've wondered about using chain saw oil. When I lube my front spindles the oil forms a puddle on the floor almost immediately. Gravity must be pretty strong in my neighborhood.

Is there any downside to chain saw oil ? I presume that it's a perfectly good lubricant ? Can you pump it through an ordinary oil can ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

What about using 140w or maybe even STP oil treatment. Just thoughts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 01:05 pm:

I use chainsaw Bar oil also. No issues here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 01:10 pm:

I grease mine using a rubber tipped grease needle. I jack up the eye of the spring using a standard Ford jack as needed to get access to the oiler on the spring.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/755416.html?1495153672

Larry Smith hates me for doing it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 01:25 pm:

I use some spare 250 wt. rear end oil I have had after filling a rear end. It gets in there eventually and seems to stay put pretty well. Used chain saw bar oil too. The heavier summer grade stuff works the best. Make sure you have the correct flip-top oiler on there. They help to keep out the grit and grime.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

I use 600W, same as rear end but I also use motor oil, depends on which oil can is handy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 09:28 pm:

Can you pump it through an ordinary oil can?

Yes. I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 11:24 am:

Quit trying to change things! I use the original Ford method, and have thousands of miles logged on my cars, one of them has 55,000 miles since restoration. I have never used anything other than oil for the bushings, and have zero wear. Why try to change something that Ford engineers already had figured out? Will this kind of talk ever end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 11:41 am:

I agree with the consensus here that oil is better. Grease won't flow to where it is needed and will dry up over time. I use chain saw oil as well. The reason yours were so worn out is because regular maintenance was neglected by the previous owner(s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 02:24 pm:

Grease or oil. Either one will work fine when used frequently enough.

It's like engine oil, (please let's not start a debate on that), what's more important than what kind you use, is to simply use enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

Thanks for all the inputs, guys. I'll admit to having a fairly limited experience base with Model T's, and it seems like every shackle I've ever handled (not too many) has been severely worn. I had the idea that lubrication for those parts was insufficient and some improvement was called for. Now what I'm hearing is that the the insufficient lubrication is more related to operator negligence rather than to poor design.

Guess I'll give the chain saw oil a go, since regular motor oil seems to run out as fast as I put it in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:48 pm:

Look at the price of new good ones in the catalog, you will want them to last as long as possible. While some might say the price is not too bad, they are a lot more $'s then they were just a few years ago.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration