Model T Garage Work Area's

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Model T Garage Work Area's
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, February 14, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

Lots of original repair shop photos on this past thread here.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/568381.html?1441511460

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 12:30 am:

Jay I really enjoyed seeing those photos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 01:31 am:

Holy moley! Look at those work spaces!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:31 am:

Jay, great thread,thanks for posting. I personally like the original black and white photos as opposed to colorized ones, but more detail shows up in the colorized version. This really showed up to me this year watching my favorite movie the Christmas movie "Its a Wonderful Life". I always watch it in black and white,this year I watched the colorized version. I was surprised at how much more detail showed up. Karolyn Grimes who played "Zuzu" in the movie is a friend of mine and she tells me she prefers watching the colorized version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:46 am:

Dan the colorized ones are mister Eagle's paintings. I know, I had to look twice and blow it up to see his name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:12 am:

Good eye Dallas,excellent art work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:46 am:

There is a very nice 1918 coupelet in one of the
pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

Great group of pictures. Thanks for posting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:12 am:

I wish I could go back in time and join with those men and women.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:26 am:

Jay
I enjoy the heritage and old cars, but do not want to go back in time...

Worked very hard...no air conditioning/indoor plumbing was a luxury/poor health care/had to shovel coal to heat my house

Average person died by age of 50.
On and on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

I know, we finally put propane heat in our house because cutting wood and lighting a fire every morning was getting old... (and this was 4 years ago!!)... that's what we get for wanting a "rustic cabin in the woods" --lol--... The fun thing is my shop (next to the cabin) was an 1870's blacksmithy which was in business for a number of decades, apparently. Those windows in those "modern" shops - Priceless!!!

Also... My grandfather was a mechanic, lived to be 70, it wasn't the work conditions that did him in, it was his tobacco habit (probably with a liberal sprinkling of asbestos dust)... sure, it was hard work, but even today, wrenching for a living isn't what one would call easy, especially with all the sub assemblies, and the need to be a yoga practitioner (or guru) to access some of the stuff...

I'm not sure I would mind so terribly much... after all, the work isn't that much different than I did when I was younger (and it made way more sense than replacing computer modules)... as my bother says, "Wrenchin' is wrenchin'"... You see the photos of the women learning the trade, that put a smile on my face, tho the one sitting in the motor compartment of a T looks contrived (2 perfect finger sized grease smudges, one on each cheek, and sparkling clean coveralls... Um Hmmm) the class behind her made me smile!

They tore down the old shop at the bridge a few years ago (dated from 1932), it looked so much like a bunch of those... and we were able to do darned near anything in it. There are times I really do miss that place!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard Farmland, NJ on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

Absolutely love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Conwill on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 09:00 am:

Susanne, the full story (and a few other photos) on the posed-looking photo are available on Shorpy. Worth a read and a great site for anyone who loves old photos.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/2988

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

Quite a few of those shops were left in 1960, when I started delivering parts as a kid. (18) Dave in Bellingham, WA

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration