Cowl Light lens

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Cowl Light lens
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 01:05 am:

Why did some lights have clear lens vs the staggered lens? These are two tail lights, one with clear, 1 with a staggered lens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 01:18 am:

I think that most of the side mounted type tail lights had just the clear lens. Someone may have just replaced the one using the stepped lens from a side light. But it might be a Canadian thing. What are the names on the lamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 01:46 am:

I have never seen a plain clear lens.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 02:02 am:

Allan, they are on the Ford O tail lights with the small red lens that faces to the rear and the big clear lens that faces the license plate. Pretty common here. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:52 am:

The clear lenses diffuse the light quickly and are good for close area lighting. The fresnel lens, or stepped lens, focuses the light into more of a beam for lighting more distant areas OR being seen from farther away. Think lighthouse light with the huge fresnel lenses for being seen a long distance away.

Cheers,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 10:59 am:

Mark - No names on lamps. Terry & Sharon - I never would have thought that the large lens would be for lighting the licence plate. I think I have several of the small red lenses, so will need to change side to red.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 04:48 pm:

David, the reverse is true in my experience here, large red lens to the rear, small, plain, clear lens on the side for the number plate.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

The older model taillights had a blue lense on the left. I read the reason why once but can't remember. Did right hand drive cars have a blue lense on the right, or were the taillights still on the left side of the car? Seems like the blue lense was something to do with the railroad lights of the era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

Ross,

For U.S. production, the large red lens fresnel tail lamp has a small clear lens for the license plate and was used from 1915 to early in 1923. The small red lens tail lamp, which began in 1923, has a large clear lens for the license plate. The side lights use the clear fresnel.

I believe this was the Ford solution for a requirement by some states to have a brighter light on the license plate. Here is the tail lamp, 1923-1926, that has a large clear lens for the license plate.

I'm not sure if the Canadian followed the same pattern. Also, this style lamp was very popular and may have been sold for use as aftermarket or replacement items.

Ken in Texas

(Message edited by drkbp on February 15, 2018)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration