Vee-Nose Car-Hauler Trailer with Workshop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Vee-Nose Car-Hauler Trailer with Workshop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 02:07 am:

Am presently installing limited compact workshop capability inside my new vee-nose enclosed car hauler trailer. Looking for ideas that others have had, and perhaps some pictures? Kind of an "on-going" and fun project,....please tell me or show (pictures?) ideas you have and workshop facilities/equipment you have installed in your trailer,.....thanks,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:57 am:

BTTT

Anybody....?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 06:48 am:

I think it's a great idea and wish I could do it. I have no photos but if I could do it I'd rig up an antique engine for power and compressed air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:21 am:

A source of power,and i like the quiet honda.Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:32 am:

shelving for tools and parts. generator. air compressor. lawn chairs. patio umbrella. clothes rack. hand cleaner. rags. car polish. trouble lite. extension cord. rain gear. big plastic tarp and mama likes her porta pot, throw in some cardboard to lay on under the car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:01 am:

Harold,

Do a net search for race car trailers. These guys have cornered the market on "in trailer workshops." The race car suppliers also make dozens of different items for storage and item control when on the road.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:07 am:

James - That's a great idea! I guess the only down side of that is that those old "hit & miss" engines are pretty large and heavy for the power that they develop. Sure would go well with the Model T's we haul in our trailers though!

And Bud,..."great minds think alike!" One of the additions I've made to my trailer so far is a couple 110 volt circuits inside for a couple lights and a couple outlets, and when I don't have "shore power" to plug into, like in an RV park or something, I have exactly the 2000 watt Honda generator you're talking about! As you say, they sure are quiet, and I believe they're about the best available. Thanks guys.....

And by the way, some of the other "mods" I've added to my trailer are Linex coating on floor with E-tracks for Model T tie-downs, bunk beds (adjustable via vertical E-tracks) that easily convert to any combination of bunk beds, or one bed (upper) and workbench or table below, or bunk bed (lower) and shelf & storage for the upper, porta-potti which stores mostly out of sight under a couple stackable chairs, small counter for microwave and work space and with shelf above, small combination 110/12 volt freezer/fridge, and a combination heater/air conditioner which vents outside.

All of this fits mostly in the vee-nose portion of the trailer, and only "robs" a couple feet of the full-width section of the trailer adjacent to the vee-nose. And in this 28' trailer, I can still fit two Model T's in it, if I raise the lower bunk bed up just high enough to clear the Model T radiator cap! Oh, and I found one of those neat aluminum tool cabinet/work station thingies on sale on the internet, and it's only 3 inches thick, so I'll mount that on one wall, just aft of the bunk beds, and it'll let me keep at least most of the most commonly used wrenches & such handy to the front of the Model T. Okay,....enough "blabbering"!

Sorry to get so "wordy" as I usually do, but I guess you can tell that it's been a fun project that I'm pretty "enthused" with!

Again, anybody else got any ideas (or pictures) I'd sure be interested in hearing about them! Thanks again,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:11 am:

Eugene & Terry - Simultaneous typing! Just the kind of information/suggestions I was asking for,.....thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:21 am:

Sorry Harold,No great mind on this side but a awning might be nice? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:41 am:

Trailers tend to get hot inside so you may want to place a small window near the work area to let natural light in and to allow heat and fumes to escape. Perhaps an exhaust fan too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:55 am:

Yeah Bud,....the awning is one of several "might be nice" items that my wife and I have discussed, but she continually reminds me that I've already invested quite a lot of $$$ in this trailer already, and some of those "might be nice" items might have to wait awhile until I can kinda' "sneak them in" later, under the guise of ",.... annual maintenance" (:^)

Denny - I've considered having the dealer where I bought the trailer, install a small window in the "man door" which is just aft of the vee-nose, and my thought was just for some additional light as you say, but you also mentioned ventilation (I do have two opening roof vents) so that's a good point..... it probably wouldn't cost much more to make that door window a window that opens and has a screen,.....good idea,.......thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 11:16 am:

Put 2 small sliding windows in the side walls a few feet from the rear to improve air circulation and provide a little natural light when the back door is closed- makes all the difference. Mine are about 10" x 15".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

Thanks Dan,....we're definitely considering the window situation, and your suggestion certainly makes sense. The only reason my new trailer doesn't have a couple small windows is because I didn't have my new trailer custom built, as I found a new one that had most of the basic features that I wanted,....especially 6 inches of extra height. My tallest Model T is the '23 Roadster/Pickup with the top up and it clears the top of the rear door opening by about 3 inches. Actually, I think the 6inch extra height is perfect, because that Roadster/Pickup and my depot hack fit just fine, and if I'd had a trailer built with the optional extra foot, I have "more trailer" sticking up in the air than I really need for the crosswind and passing trucks to slam me around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:05 pm:

Harold,May i ask what are you hauling this beast with? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:25 pm:

Bud - Couple years ago, I bought a used Ford F-150 with the big V8. I know,....an F-150 doesn't sound like much of a truck, but this one is a real beauty, and it's kind of a "beast" too! All kinds of heavy duty stuff, like big oversized adjustable shocks, special heavy duty disc pads, oversized tires on 18" wheels, etc, etc. The truck was sort of the previous owners "hobby", and he spent a fortune on it! The Ford dealer told me all this, and I thought, yeah, yeah, yeah...... But the guy traded it in on a new Ford truck and told the dealer that he'd be glad to come down and explain all of the "extras" and special work he'd had done to the truck to any new prospective owner. Again,....I thought, yeah, yeah, yeah..... Well, he actually met me a week or so "AFTER" I bought it and spent three hours with me explaining all the "mods" he'd done. I've been driving it for a couple years now, and it really is a great truck.

Towing capacity is 10,000 lbs, and my trailer is 3900 lbs mty and somewhere between 7,000 lbs and 8,000 lbs with my Model A Ford Briggs Town Sedan in it. It does just fine Bud! I used to kinda' "bum-rap" Ford F-150's as a cheap truck, but THIS ONE really is different,.....I'd buy it again in a heartbeat! I think the biggest single thing is wind resistance, and this trailer has a very sharp (as opposed to "blunt") vee-nose that I think helps a lot. Thanks for your concern Bud,.....harold

P.S. By the way, you'd be amazed at how little weight difference there is between an 18' or 20' enclosed trailer, and a 28' trailer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

Fully agree about the "light truck" Harold. I sold off my ol' 1/2 ton Ford years ago. Was tired of the truck "trying" to get the job done. Got me a F250 with a growler under the hood, and never thought about tounge weight or payload capacity ever again.

Until a couple of weeks ago... I bought a new to me mill. So I rented a heavy equipment trailer, hooked up the ol' truck, and headed on my way to load the machine. Well... the ol' truck didn't make it! So my dad swapped out his '14 F150 with the EcoBoost 3.5 V6... I was a bit worried. We were looking at a 8000-9000 lbs trailer!! Other than the rented trailer was a piece of crap, the F150 did way better than expected! Plenty of power and plenty of brakes. I would say it outperformed my 20 year old growler. Waaaaay more capable truck than the mid-80's 1/2 ton I used to have!!!!!!!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration