Reverse Trouble

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Reverse Trouble
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Weaver on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 03:43 pm:

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me for any errors I might make. :-)

I have a 1923 Model TT ton truck that I've been working on for about a year now. I got it running in only a month and have been enjoying getting it closer to being tip top shape.

Recently I started having some problems backing up. It labors the engine like it's going to back up, even starts to move, but then won't budge. I tried to adjust the reverse band a little, but it did not help. Just wanted to see if any of you have had this issue and what fixes you might have. THANKS!!!!

p.s. It moves forward great!
1923 Model TT Ton Truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

Setting for a good reverse is tricky as you have to hold the clutch so it’s free and depress the reverse deal.
To help I usually adjust the emergency brake so it frees the clutch when vertical and only pulls on the E Brake when moved towards the rear. Then you can pull the Ebrake lever vertical and then use the clutch and reverse pedals as desired without the Ebrakes binding. It takes a little feel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 11:36 pm:

Forget any possible errors. Welcome to the forum! :-)
Tony's right and how's your "neutral"?
I changed/relined the transmission bands in my Crappy 24 in 2015 after running it since 96 or 97.
The reverse band material was still there up on the top of the band but the bottom material was missing completely!
Only rivets and the band to go in reverse. Didn't work very good. :-) Ya, the reverse band was very original.
How's your bands?
Cool lookin' T! Especially with the solid tires on the front!
I'd like to stop in and ask to drive both of your trucks! That Chevy 4 by 4 is SO solid! It still has rocker panels!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Weaver on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 09:36 am:

Thanks for the tips!
As far as my neutral goes, it seems to be set right. When the parking brake lever is vertical the truck doesn't move when running and pushes freely, but is there still a possibility it needs adjusted further?

This is probably a dumb question, but when tightening the brake band, how tight should it be? My bands look good on the top, likes yours Duey, but I'm not sure of the condition on the bottom. I fear it's probably shot, but wanted to try making adjustments first.

Thanks for the compliments on my trucks! I even have the factory Ford bed for my model TT hanging in the rafters. The other truck is my 1972 GMC "One Piece At A Time". 1972 body, 1964 running gears, 1966 engine, 1963 frame and trans (as far as I know, Ha!). It's my firewood truck. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:11 am:

Some folks don't believe it, but cotton band linings will deteriorate with age and go to pieces in use. Here's one I found. I have no idea how old it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:24 am:

Chris you stated that your TT truck moves forward great but you didn't say that you have actually have driven it around a little.
If your T has been setting up for a good while it probably has transmission bands that haven't been replaced in years. Did the previous owner ever drive it or do you know any history of it?
You sound like you've been working on it and have good mechanical skills.
I think I would buy and install some new transmission bands and go from there. I'll bet that is your problem.
Changing the bands is something most serious T owners need to know how to do. You can do it!

Oh and one more question, can you tell if the drums are scored? If they are replace the bands to keep the drums from getting scored any further. The scoring occurs when running the bands till they are worn down to the rivets and then some!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:14 am:

If it just started happening and was not an issue before, it is possible that the driven gear sleeve on the brake drum is fractured or broken. Sometimes right when they break and when they just begin to act up; if you carefully feather the pedal, the car will move. Depending on the geometry of the break, it can be a “comes and goes” problem. This issue can have the same effect on low OR reverse OR both.

This is a fairly rare issue, but if you don’t find anything more obvious, it is something to think about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Weaver on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

I bought the truck from a friend about 7 or 8 years ago. He bought it from a farm up in Lost River, WV where it had been sitting for a very long time (By the looks of it when I bought it, probably 20-30 years or more). I've only started work on the truck about a year ago. So I'm sure I'm running original or very old replacement bands.

I've driven the truck just a small ways up the road from my house and back. I keep it in low, but did run it in high once just to see if it worked. It took off like a rocket! But from the beginning it was slow to respond in reverse. When I tried adjusting the band, I didn't see any scoring on the drum, but I'm sure my bands are needing replacement.

I've tinkered with another Model TT truck years ago and had to reinstall the transmission cover and bands. It was a fight then, but I have some of my grandfathers model T tools now, so hopefully it will be a little easier. Since I'll have to tear into it anyway I'll check the driven gear sleeve for any fractures.

Thanks everyone for the advice!!! I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration