Recovering a roadster body in NZ...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Recovering a roadster body in NZ...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 03:44 pm:

My beloved and I are vacationing in glorious New Zealand this month, and yesterday I joined our host and a couple of local club members in retrieving a '26-27 roadster body shell that had been in storage for over 35 years.

The fellow at left dug up (literally) this treasure with his late father sometime prior to 1983.

While all but Kep might scoff at the notion this relic could be anything more than worthless rust, it will indeed be useful as patterns for a special-bodied T and even yield two serviceable sill plates for the same project.

Plus, what a fun way to spend a couple sunny hours on a +28C/82F afternoon whilst winter rages in the northern hemisphere.

The new custodian took a grave risk leaving his acquisition on the truck, unsecured, all last night. We were all relieved to find it still there this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

Looks like a "52? Vanguard in the garage. I'm always watching for parts for my 51 (different grille)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 11:12 pm:

Car in the garage is a '59 Standard Vanguard, apparently in need of not much more than front brakes to be a runner...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 12:21 am:

That subframe is nicer than mine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 01:18 am:

Nice! And I see quite a few bits on there that could be very useful in restoring a '26/'27 roadster. Kep I know would build most of the rest of that himself!
It makes me more than a little angry, actually. In this country, we send way too many very restorable pieces to the scrappers without a thought. Our educational system does not generally teach children anymore to think, or care about much of anything. As a result, we have a class of people that wander around, "recycling" pretty much anything, whether it is theirs, they have a right to it, or not, and without ANY consideration that it might actually have a value beyond the few pennies they can get for it. Hobbyists can hardly compete with them when they buy truck loads from farm auctions and the like. They get paid by the state to "clean up the environment", without any recourse to save things of value they get hold of.

I'll shut up now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:36 am:

Depending on which part of NZ you're in i might be able to show you where some T parts i can't reach without scuba gear are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:48 am:

Hi Kep, we're in and around Gisborne and up towards the Bay of Plenty. You're in Northland?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 03:40 am:

Amusing that you find a 'Mudguard'' [ Vanguard] of interest, although it is a factory Ute & worth saving for that. A few other cars look interesting in garage. Gone are the days of finding reasonable old Fords lying around country areas of NZ. We get them from the US now.
Cheers from NZ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 03:51 am:

These Vanguards were great demo derby cars, so tough.
Hence hard to find a good one now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 08:47 am:

I have never understood why the "Ute" idea didn't really catch on here in the states.
I see that T body as being very fixable.Again,it is a matter of what people see as worth saving and not.
Hobbyist here in the US are blessed by being able to be picky about their parts and having the funds to afford them. Some of us fix what we can afford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 08:57 am:

IMO, El Caminos and Rancheros were domestic "Utes" of a sort. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

Interesting that the Vanguard Ute is a 59. It is definitely a Phase II made from 53-55 but carried over in Ute form to 56 but with a mesh grille. Maybe the Australian built units were carried over longer. The Phase III introduced in 56 is a very different looking car. I don't want to hijack this thread so I will shut up now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:37 pm:

Nice way to spend an afternoon!

Any forum members traveling to NZ should maybe post when then we can PM you offline to make contact. We would be more than happy to meet up and show you a few 'kiwi' Ts.
Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:38 pm:

(You are heading the wrong way from me Chris - maybe next time eh? :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

Dave,
My first car was a phase 3 and built like a tank, factory 6 with twin carbs, good for 100+ mph.

Back to year models for you in Australia, the phase 2 was replaced with the 3 in 1955/6 but the phase 2 ute continued to 1958
As did the phase 3 ute to 1964 although vangaurd England, was finished in 1963.

So it could be possible that the phase 2 ute model dragged out to 59 in NZ.

And can sort off keep it a little ford related. the Vangaurd engine was the same as the Ferguson tractor, Harry Ferguson was in partner ship with Henry Ford with the 9N tractor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

Next time indeed Adrian -- your National T rally in 2019 sounds pretty tempting...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 04:11 am:

Yes, northland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

Should be superb country side for that one - book in early :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 05:45 am:

Wayne is correct - a factory Vanguard ute is a relatively rare vehicle.

Here is a photo of possibly the nicest beetle-back Vanguard I've ever seen - the All British Car Show in Upper Hutt a couple of weeks ago...

vanguard

van 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

Oh Upper Hutt (my old home town), I see nothing has changed much - rain, rain, rain :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 03:27 am:

Adrian,

It is such a shame that this show fell on one of the few days that that bug chap in the sky decided to water his garden.

It was talked about last night at the VCC meeting - in spite of the weather, there was still a turnout of about 300 cars! They expected 600 if the weather was, shall we say, less precipitous!

As I said on my Facebook page, I take my rain hat off to those hardy souls who, despite the weather, came along anyway. This event has great potential.

Now, more positively. As they said in the day of the T, 'FORDS ARE BRITISH'.

brit

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration