30 x 3 1/2 tread wear patterns

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 30 x 3 1/2 tread wear patterns
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

Was looking at the tires on the '23 in the garage the other day and noticed that the "new" tires I put on in August have worn more on the outside edges of the two front tires.

Is this common or related to tire pressure ... toe in adjustments? Don't recall seeing this before.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 04:23 pm:

Due to camber. Maybe also due to too much toe in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

Some extra wear on the outside edges is normal due to the front wheels being cambered out at the top by design.

Double check your toe-in and rotate your tires front to back occasionally. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/40382.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 10:08 pm:

Pay particular attention to gather (toe-in). Bad adjustment there can eat up your front tires PDQ.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG104.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 10:52 pm:

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion of the spring loaded rod. In the past I’ve used two sticks with a little clamp. Like the rod. I suspect that a curtain rod would work well too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 11:28 pm:

After some great advice here a few years ago, I think the best method for setting toe in is definitely the 'Tape and marker method." This method removes the run-out that is inherent in all of our rims. When i did the the basic measurement from rim to rim, it was pretty close and my tires wore very quickly. After doing the tape and marker, i found the adjustment to be out over 1/4 of an inch. After changing to this new way of adjusting, it seems the uneven wear has basically stopped and is now wearing evenly.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/749747.html?1493525369

(Message edited by JP_noonan on February 15, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 12:50 am:

All the Model T's I've driven have a tendency to pull to the right. -Oh, it's not much, it's not really all that objectionable. -Because roads are crowned (higher in the center than at the curbs) and because we drive on the right side of the road, the car pulls to the right. - It's just the car's natural tendency to follow gravity downhill.

We counteract that with pressure on the steering wheel in the opposite direction. -The left front tire, the one closest to the crown of the road, may not wear unevenly, but the right front tire, the one closest to the lowest part of the road, tends to scrub a bit more and wear on the outboard edge.

Or I could be completely wrong—happens all the time—just ask my wife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:35 am:

Not a problem on dirt streets and roads, as it was "in the beginning". ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:40 am:

Don't know about other makes, but Mopars in the '60s and '70s specified slightly different caster angles for the left and right front wheels to counter the self-steering effect from road crown. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Tire Tread is highly overrated. I run all gray smooth tires on my barn fresh 1912 and you can't see any wear what so ever. Problem solved!!!!!

Actually I'm very surprised at how even the tire wear is with the smooth grays. I have over 1000 miles on them and they show no wear what so ever, either the fronts or the rears.

When I got my '12 the speedo showed only 3400 miles and I assume it was original. The front end had no wear what so ever. I did check camber and caster. I have an old Weaver spring loaded toe in gauge that I used to set the toe.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration