NY-NJ Laurel & Hardy fans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: NY-NJ Laurel & Hardy fans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 05:33 pm:

The Lafayette Theatre in Suffern NY will be showing the famous Laurel & Hardy short "Two Tars" 1928 ... on March 10th .
Followed by , On The Town 1949

Two Tars ,
Stanley and Oliver, two sailors on shore leave, rent a car and go on a drive with their dates, but soon get involved in a huge traffic jam with dozens of ill-tempered motorists. A minor collision sets off an escalating series of tit-for-tat retaliations which eventually has most of the cars in pieces.

http://www.lafayettetheatersuffern.com/9229/Classic-Film-Club

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:26 pm:

Vincent:

Lafayette Theater is a step back in time.... been there.... saw their Christmas showing of "It's a Wonderful Life". The family that is responsible for saving the theater is a godsend to Suffern in helping the revitalization of the town. The organ music itself is worth more than the admission.

May see you there on March 10th ??????

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:09 am:

Bob ,
Would love to meet up before or after . One can never have enough T friends !

TWO TARS has gotten a deserved reputation as being one of the funniest of the Laurel & Hardy short comedies (and certainly among the best of their silent comedies) due to the last half of the film. Initially Stan and Ollie are on furlough from the navy, and meet two young ladies (Thelma Hill and Ruby Blaine). After some typical Hardy small talk (in which he drops his close relationship to Secretary of the Navy Curtis Wilbur), he and Stan decide to rent a car and take the girls for a drive in the country. Unfortunately their car ends up in a traffic jam.

Keep in mind that this was only 1928, and the expansion of American automobile use (from the days when the car was only the toy of the rich or the object of early racing figures like Barney Oldfield and Edward Vernon Rickenbacker) dated back only to 1914 when Henry Ford's Model T was put on the assembly line. By 1928 nearly 15 million of Ford's car was on the road - and there were other car companies too. And here we have a film (a short film comedy) which is about a traffic jam. Modern problems are always mirrored in the movies.

The series of confrontations L & H have are with equally grumpy motorists like Edgar Kennedy (whose front tires and fenders the boys manage to pull off in timed unison). Cars backs are dumped off, or they are reduced to accordions on wheels. Every possible disaster that could befall a 1928 car is shown. And the police are fairly powerless to do much, except to watch in amazement (at the conclusion) of the parade of mangled cars. And it is, surprisingly, very funny indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:52 am:

"The doo dad is busted"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

"bump"
for those who don't scroll down ,here is a reminderthe boys

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 07:43 am:

Silent films were for the most part never silent.... as they had musical accompaniments. The organist at the Lafayetts Theatre I'm sure will do his best as in the past to bring that silent film to life doing honor to the original score.

And besides the entertainment, there is a diner just east on Rt 59 that serves the best mushroom soup as a saturday special.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

Bob ,
We will have to meet up as other members of my T club will be there as well .
We were planning on going to FINKS~BBQ after as that place is awesome !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 08:15 am:

Just a reminder in case any one is interested , there is only one week to go .
Hope to see you all there !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 08:34 pm:

Vincent:
I just watched Two Tars on YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Man Alive!! They sure managed to damage a bunch of antique cars in 20 minutes.

Im glad weve all learned to handle traffic jams a little more maturely than they did in the 1920s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 08:49 pm:

I've always been a big fan of L & H. When i'm having a bad day all I have to do to get on track is to watch a couple of their You Tube films. Watching Hardy with the women is a hoot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

Seeing these two KINGS of comedy on the big screen will be AWESOME !!!!!
This is a bump for any late weekend guy's as I don't use facebook and I want locals to know this is going to be shown .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Monday, March 05, 2018 - 03:30 pm:

Bump for the Monday crowd .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 07:19 am:

Hey Vince, thanks for reaching out enjoyed our phone conversation. With the recent weather events in the Suffern area with higher snow total and related storm problems will have to err on the side of caution and meet sometime in the future. For those of you who are closer to Suffern to go to the Lafayette Theater enjoy the event tomorrow and looking forward to meeting everyone in the future. For us Jersey Shore Flatlanders most of what we got in the storm has melted and evaporated. In the past we've been to the Lafayette Theater thanks for reaching out enjoyed our phone conversation. With the recent weather events in the Suffern area with higher snow total and related storm problems will have to air on the side of caution and meet sometime in the future. For those of you who are closer to Suffern to go to the Lafayette theater enjoy the event tomorrow and looking forward to meeting everyone in a future. For us Jersey Shore flatlanders most of what we got in the storm has melted and evaporated and yesterday's sunny conditions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

.....bump for friday afternoon crowd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 04:27 pm:

I arrived on the planet a few years too late to see Two Tars in a theater on its first run. But I'll confess that I did see On the Town in a theater when it was new. I don't remember whether it was at the Avalon or the Granada.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Friday, March 09, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

one last bump .
Steve , too bad you are so far away pal !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 07:23 am:

Our own David Dewey is doing similar promotion and restoration on the "left coast".... see link :

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/845886.html?1520683960.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration