I bought a bore scope today.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: I bought a bore scope today.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 06:28 pm:

A quick tale of woe: all the while I have been working on getting my T ready for Spring touring, I left the key in the ignition with the transmission cover open the whole time no problemo. One day I thought maybe I should put the cover back on just in case, which I did. 2 days later, I removed the coil box for rebuilding, got it to the bench, and there was NO KEY!

So I searched the area, no key. Checked my usual places, no key. Thought and thought, but no key!

Hope springs eternal, but today I gave into my nightmare theory and bought the $60 (with coupon) bore scope at HF and took a look. It is a good tool, check it out. So there was the key lodged against the flywheel. The good news is I can stop tearing my shop apart looking for the stupid key!

Ron Patterson has suggested I pack rags or a towel around the flywheel, rotate it, and see if the packing will bring the key around to where I can get it.

Tomorrow morning the hogs head comes off. If anyone has other ideas how to get the key out, I am all ears. The engine is in the car, but I can pull it if necessary.

Also, is there anything else I should check while I am in there? The car was being driven and the bands look to me like they have life left in them. I have not driven the car. Ideas welcome.

Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 06:58 pm:

If you can see the key with a bore scope, could you not retrieve it then with a bendable magnet or flexible claw tool?

I would hate to have to pull the hogs head if I didn't have to. I have a Canadian car with two front doors which is a godsend for such a task, but it is still a major pain in the A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

The key is brass, so a magnet is out. I'll see if a claw will fit. It is really tight in there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

William, if you have to pull the hogshead, that is the time to replace the bands too. It is such a pain to do later, I look seriously at doing the change whenever the cover is off. New linings are relatively cheap in the scheme of things.

Hope this helps
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:14 pm:

Your profile says 1911 Touring, it should be easy to take the aluminum hogshead off.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

Will, could you put a piece of double sided tape on a bendable magnet and use the bore scope to guide you to the key? Some of that tape is pretty sticky. Good luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

Those things are handy for a lot of things, I found part of my hearing aid in my ear with one. Still had to go to the doc to get it removed but it was almost worth it just to see the look on the doc's face when I told him that I knew it was in there because I saw it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:00 pm:

I think I would try a piece of 3/4" rubber heater hose plugged into my shop vac. Snake it down there. turn on the vac???? Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

Drain the oil and tap the pan and see if you can get it down to the drain hole so you can get it with a loop of brass wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Mathieson on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 10:23 pm:

Looking forward to see how you resolve this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 10:27 pm:

Willian, try using the little hook that comes with the bore scope, even if it takes an hour it will save a lot of time and expense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 12:20 am:

Bill: Use the scope and the flex claw. People bring me their T when they drop things in there, works like a champ. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:05 am:

A dear friend who passed about 15 years ago told me a story of a T he owned with several high school friends just prior to WWII, it must have been a speedster or a bug.

The key had been bumped and ended up somewhere inside the open transmission. George got about three of his co-owners together and turned the car over and shook the key out. I don't remember if he mentioned how many keys or other fragments he retrieved, but that dang key did reappear!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:20 am:

The flex claw they sell at HF should get it. If your key has the little square hole at the end, you should be able to grab it with a hook bent into #14 or 16 solid wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:57 am:

I purchased a borescope a few months ago from Amazon for about $11.
It is about 4 ft long and has an adjustable light on the end.
It attaches to my Android phone and I can either do videos or take stills.

it worked so good I went back to Amazon to get another for the kitchen but found that the price has gone up. It is now about $16

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 03:30 pm:

The Lost Key! I wound up removing the hogshead - I just could not get the scope and a claw into the same spot, in fact I could not get back to the key at all! Somehow it had slipped over the edge to go even deeper into the pan. After I got the hogshead off - which was fun but not too bad - I could actually see the key which was still out of reach. I then put some sticky glue on the end of a welding rod and just touched it to the key. left it for a couple of hours, and then gingerly withdrew it from the pan.

Now I just have to put it all back together. I will start a separate thread for advice on the most prudent things to do.

Thanks to all that contributed ideas! Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 07:25 pm:

Great catch! Welcome to the Model T fishing club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

Glad you got it out. I had to go fishing for a band spring once, it had dropped all the way to the bottom. A friend pushed it up using a magnet tipped wand through the oil pan drain hole to a position where I could see it and fish it out with a two pronged grabbing wand. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration