Cam seal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Cam seal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:25 pm:

I discovered that my lever for adjusting the timing was hanging up today. I could see no problem with any thing external so I popped off the timer. The cam seal was loose and flopping around inside. I stuck it back in to crank the engine and move the car back into the garage. Guess I'll deal with it this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

If I remove the timer and there is no oil leaking into it should I leave the "new" seal out or try to glue it back in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

A "new" or modern seal will not be a press in fit, rather a put in place and use some ultra-black to hold it in. make sure the area is nice and clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

I put a modern seal in backwards and thought I stuck it with silicon when I was finishing up the engine after buying the car. I seem to remember reading about someone flattening, thereby swelling the diameter of the seal so it fit tighter in the bore. Did I or am I imagining that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:02 pm:

No, you're right Tommy. Sometimes you need to physically adjust the seal to get a good tight fit.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3177OS.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:13 pm:

Tommy, no you didn't imagine it I've read that too. I guess if you have a socket close to the same size (OD) as the seal you could place the seal on a hard surface with the socket on top and give it a few taps.....lightly of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 08:47 pm:

That's exactly what I remember reading. Never would have remembered it being on Lang's website though. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

The slight press fit, are on the 26-27's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 09:50 pm:

Milt Webb use to recommend putting the seal between two pieces of wood placed in a vice and squeezed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

I will be picking up two seals tomorrow at NAPA, where I work. I have the timer off, still attached by the wires. I also have the fan off to replace the bushings in the pulley. I plan to measure the od of the old seal and the bore that it fits into. The new seal obviously needs to "grow" a little. I ordered two, just in case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:03 pm:

Tommy, while you are at it inspect the cam gear retaining nut and see if the protruding surface the seal rides on is worn creating a smaller diameter for the seal to work against. If it is worn it's an easy fix.....just replace the nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art Wilson on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 01:44 am:

Be careful squeezing the seal. It is easy to over do it. It is very hard to unsqueeze it. (I know)
Use some Ultra black in addition to squeezing for a good perimeter seal.
Hope this helps,
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 08:47 am:

Thanks Charles and Art. The nut is new but I will check it anyway. I know over doing the squeeze would be easy to do . That's why I ordered two. I will pick up a fresh tube of Ultra-black too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 08:52 am:

Thanks Charles and Art. The nut is new but I will check it anyway. I know over doing the squeeze would be easy to do . That's why I ordered two. I will pick up a fresh tube of Ultra-black too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

I put the new seal in this evening. I found something interesting. The seal that came out, because it fit loosely was a Timken # 471224. The replacement is a SKF 9878 and it fits tighter than the Timken. They are listed as interchanging but there is an obvious difference in od. I did not have the radiator and shell off, but I did have the fan and pulley off to deal with the bushings. I used three flat washers and one big nut for a spacer and used the threads on the end of the cam to push the seal in. All seems well. I just need to remember to put some oil in the pulley tomorrow.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration