My engine oil well?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: My engine oil well?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:31 pm:

I took the oil filler cap off while the engine was running today. Be careful doing that because the cap and fan blade are close together. Ask me how I know. With the cap off I could see oil splashing around. If the engine had been running above a fast idle it probably would throw oil out the hole. Is that normal/good?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:54 pm:

Yes and yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:54 pm:

Likely normal, unless your oil level is too high.

The cap is really the breather for the engine when running. That oil immediately under the cap is being slung by the timing gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

That is a good sign! I check mine every so often. If you see a little water (milky oil)it's just condensation and will go away after the engine is up to running temp.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration