Batteries

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Batteries
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grant J Barlow on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:32 pm:

Just wondering what type of battery is used most. Golf Cart Deep Cycle? 6v Car?
Just curious

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

6 volt Exide from Tractor Supply $49.99, can't beat it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

Regular 6V group 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 07:44 pm:

My car, no starter, was converted to 12V sometime in the past. I use the cheapest, rechargeable 12V motorcycle battery the auto parts store sells (about $35 in so. Calif). Works great. Only use it to start on crank, then switch to mag. Battery needs to be recharged about every 3 months, lasts about 4-5 years. I have a second battery in the car as a spare (I generally loan it to others more than I use the spare battery).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:11 pm:

I can not comment on what is "used most" as a battery, just be sure to check the date code on the battery and have them load test it before you pay for it and leave the store. Six volt batteries have a tendency to sit around a bit.

My recommendation would be a DEKA 901MF, 6 volt, Group 1. A little more expensive but it is made here in the United States by East Penn Manufacturing and is a great battery. Higher Cranking Amps and Cold Cranking Amps than the Exide. Each one averages between 10-12 years of service for me (9 different antique cars and tractors), I wouldn't use anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 08:26 pm:

Agree with Tim, 6V Exide group 1 from TSC. I had to pay double including a no core fee :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Royster on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

My 1916 (no starter) I have a 12vt burglar alarm battery that is at least 6 years old and I have yet to charge it. It's one of those little gel units and I only use it to crank when cold, I use the mag the rest of the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:30 pm:

Optima
About 50% more expensive than a lead acid but will last about 10 years, smaller, lighter. I can lift the damn thing with one hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 09:54 pm:

It depends on the car (or truck). For 1919-1927 a regular Group 1 from the local farm supply will do. (The kid tried to tell me it was only for tractors, because he had never heard of a six volt car.)

For a non-starter Model T, go small and cheap: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG102.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

6 volt optima

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 01:01 am:

I use a 12-volt, red-top Optima, but am not sure it's the ideal type for me. -Because my alternator misbehaves and doesn't do a very good job of keeping the battery charged, my car has a tendency to deep-cycle the battery. -That means the Optima blue-top dual-purposeŚa deep-cycle batteryŚwould probably be the better choice, at least in my case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 01:08 am:

I have an early 'non starter' car with a starter..... I use a 6V Optima and it lasts for days without a charge. From what I hear it will go for months with just starter use, I've not tried that. I use a Battery Tender trickle charger when I do top it up, and it usually finishes in minutes.... well under an hour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 01:11 am:

Optima
No more issues with damage caused by lead acid batteries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 04:00 am:

Bob Coiro - One of my T's has some problem with the alternator and has never worked since I bought the car several years ago. I use a 12 volt yellow-top Optima because I sorta' deep-cycle my battery (which the yellow-top Optima is designed for) and every year, I keep meaning to have somebody rebuild the alternator, but that yellow top Optima that I've had for the last couple years makes the alternator rebuild seem less and less important. I never use my headlights, and I use a combination of hand cranking and electric start, and that Optima just never complains! I probably won't ever fix the alternator because it's just not a problem to put the smart charger on the battery every few months. Not too proud of my "attitude" about all this, but as I say, fixing it just seems less and less important every year, so it just doesn't get done! FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 04:57 am:

For a touring, I have used Tractor Supply group 1 or Optima. For a Coupe or Roadster,Optima is my only choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 06:26 am:

Optima 6V. Hands down the best battery I have ever used in the car. The farm store batteries rarely lasted more than three years before going bad. The Optima also gives me more CCA and rolls the engine over like a 12 volt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grant J Barlow on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

Thanks for the suggestions. My TT, which hasn't run for 14+ yrs needs a battery, and with your help, I have just ordered a new Optima 6 vdc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

$36.00 6v from Rural King is the best here is East Tn.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration