Taking a TT door lock apart (how??)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Taking a TT door lock apart (how??)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bartol on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 10:13 pm:

Can anyone tell me how to take apart a TT door latch assembly? I soaked it in Evaporust, which did a fantastic job, but I need to take it apart further to replace the latch return spring.

So, it is tack-welded together? I don't see typical rivets that can be drilled out. Also, does anyone have a source for the tension spring?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 15, 2018 - 11:09 pm:

Pictures?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 08:55 am:

Lang's has a rebuild kit for these. Check how they are held together and separate attaching points,spot weld back together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:16 am:

This older post on TT closed cab latch may give some insight on how its done.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/50254.html?1205561881

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

I'm not sure what the differences are between TT latches and those on the car bodies, the ones I've worked on were held together with tabs on one piece that were peened over slots in the mating piece. Careful filing parallel to the tab allows disassembly, and often there's still enough material to allow the tabs to be peened once again on re-assembly. I'd be surprised if TT latches are 'way different from those used on cars. Please DON'T spot-weld them to re-assemble ! If necessary, build up the tabs. You never know when the latch might need another repair sometime in the next century !!
; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bartol on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 12:39 am:

Here's the lock after an evaporust bath. Looks great, but the tension spring is shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 02:05 am:

From here, I can see what looks like six spot welds in the second picture. I'd drill them out and see what happens, I'll bet(but not much!) it comes apart. No other means for attaching the two haves, would about have to be spot welded I would think. I'd just drill deep enough to go through the first layer. That way, it can be plug welded easily. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 02:07 am:

And, the plug welds can be drilled out if need be in the future. :-)
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 02:09 am:

And, the plug welds can be drilled out if need be in the future. :-) Or, tack weld the edges, they could be cut with a dremel.
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:03 am:

Yup. Looks like spot-welds, drilling is a good way to disassemble. Shot off my mouth, these are very different from the latches I've worked on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bartol on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 01:51 pm:

I've got to say, however, I love how well Evaporust works! No stink, no big cleanup, and safe for bare hands (though they will stain you a bit yellow from the rust).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bartol on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:04 pm:

Here's what's inside the lock

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration