Interesting video from 1929

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Interesting video from 1929
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bunyip on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 06:15 am:

Not sure if this has been posted before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0FE30a4J38Q

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:27 am:

That is Priceless. We don't spend enough time with folks that age. Seeing those from that era is amazing.
I wish I had video of the stories some have shared about old cars with me. I had the good fortune to take several short trips with my Yellowstone bus full of "Oxegenarians". They were absolutely delightful. Even the ones who weren't sure where they were enjoyed the ride. The nursing home employees heroically hoisted them up into the seats and rode along to keep them in place.
I know several folks on the forum that share their cars that way and it can be very rewarding.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:54 am:

Thanks Joe, that was enjoyable. Glad someone had the forsight to film that. I bet those folks never dreamed we would be listening to them all these years after.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 12:48 pm:

Years ago we attended a fun car show at a nursing home and the back seat of our 1914 recived a few wistful looks! Bud in Wheeler,Mich or a little north of Eamma Wharehouse!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

Joe, thank you so much for posting this. It is amazing.

I agree with Richard. We don't revere, respect or, listen to the elderly as much as we should or as other nations/cultures do.

As a first generation Italian, some of my fondest memories are of listening to the stories (in their broken English) from my parents and grandparents of the old country, coming to America and, their initial struggle to "make it".

I bought a very early, bulky video camera and recorded a lot of those stories. Now my kids and grandkids can see and hear their ancestors tell those stories.

Out of curiosity, I Googled Rebecca Latimer -- who is on the YouTube clip, to see if she was the first female Senator. Here's the result.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Latimer_Felton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:05 pm:

Funny, most of my influences as a boy and then young man were much older men. I still have several friends who are much older than me, but as Iím 63 myself, many of these men are in their twilight years. Iím trying my best to be the helpful old friend to those younger than me now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

Hearing the Civil War vets talking about the war made me think of my dad recounting how his Grandpa Jelf would get together with his old Indiana Infantry buddy Mister Tout. Unlike the two gents in this film, they thought their officers weren't much good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 05:04 am:

There were two white haired elderly ladies who drove a 40's Hudson around town in the 70's. They sat low in the car but could see over the dash board. We saw the car parked by their quaint house with geraniums in the windows.
A similar pair were pointed out to my wife when she was very young in Pasadena. They drove a very tall electric car for many years.
I am sure many of us have become the town characters as we drive our T's around. Age catches up with us. My wife mentioned my name to a lady at our art museum and she asked "He's quite eccentric isn't he?" I'm sure I'm not.
I hope as time goes on we are nicely remembered as some of the folks in the video were.
Someone said we are all ambassadors for the car hobby. Since then I have tried to behave myself while out in the cars.
These are just some passing thoughts since Joe shared this with us.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:44 am:

A line from the Disney animated "Beauty and the Beast" is a watch-word in our house :

"My daughter. ? Odd ?!?"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration