KEVLAR LININGS COLOR

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: KEVLAR LININGS COLOR
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:22 am:

Are Kevlar transmission band linings always yellow or amber in color? I was told when I bought my 1923 Touring the band linings were made of Kevlar but are a dirty white or gray color. They seem to be in excellent shape. Any input would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

I've seen the "off-white" Kevlar - apparently early version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

I have a set which were placed about 20 years ago which are kind of a gray color. The ones I have used lately have been light yellow color. The important thing about Kevlar is not to have the band too tight or too loose. They should not slip or drag. When adjusted right and you have good cams on the transmission, they will give very good service. When engaged, hold the pedal firmly to eliminate slippage. With the brake, use as infrequently as possible and pump the pedal so that the oil can cool the drums. I like to use auxiliary brakes with Kevlar and adjust the auxiliary to apply first as you push the pedal and the kevlar will only apply with a hard push.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

Thanks Norm. My '23 engine/transmission was overhauled by the previous owner 10-12 years ago. So it is possible my linings are the off white Kevlar. BTW I have "Sure Stop' disk brakes on the rear with the brake band loosely adjusted for activation in an emergency.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration