Hand Crank Coil Tester With A Pace-Maker Installed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hand Crank Coil Tester With A Pace-Maker Installed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 04:10 pm:

Does anyone have a Pacemaker and use a Hand Crank Coil Tester?

If your doctor repairs your heart and then installs a pacemaker to keep it running good and then tell you you can no longer do any welding, due to the strong electrical currents involved, could this also be a problem with a Hand Crank Coil Tester, if you are standing nearby and cranking it?

The current is much less, but the voltage is much higher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/507028.html
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/161059.html
plenty of old post on this subject

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

The best advise I can give is to go the website of the company that makes your pacemaker and ask them. In my experience, most cardiologists have no knowledge of the amount of magnetism needed to effect your pacemaker so suggest you avoid anything and everything. Also, the pacemaker usually works on "demand" only, so only fires when there is a pause between your natural beats or you are running too slow. if your rate is higher such as when your are standing and working, it may not fire anyway. The magnets turn off the pacemaker from functioning, but don't effect your heart's normal function. The magnets that the cardiologist uses to turn off the pacemaker for checks are very powerful and placed directly on the skin. It's unlikely that the coil tester magnets will be a problem unless you lay on the unit. I urge you to contact the pacemaker manufacturer and ask them rather than take my advise OR that of the cardiologist. Medtronics has a nice discussion on their website, or at least they used to. I don't know how many Gauss units a model T coil puts out, but that is the information you may need.
Noel Chicoine, MD-Family Practice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

Thank you both!

My other concern is that I sold the HCCT to my best friend and I do not wish to put him in harm's way.

I am going to offer to buy it back anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

Spinning a HCCT will produce approx 3-6 V AC and about 2 to 3 amps...if one could spin that fast.

Need some info before asking questions of Medical implants and Doctors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 10:35 pm:

Another possible problem is The four spark coils in the model T, which also emit radio frequency energy, EMF radiation and can cause interference to AM radios and possibly some pacemakers ? Shouldn't be a problem unless You are working close to the spark plugs and coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:04 pm:

Here is another data point. When testing coils in the ECCT using the multi-spark consistency test, the magnetic field is strong enough to feel the pulsating attraction on a strong magnet held within 5 inches of the firing coil. The firing coil will also radiate a broad spectrum of radio frequency (RF) energy each and every time a spark occurs as others have stated. In fact, Model T coils were used as the basis of low power spark gap transmitters in the early days of radio.

I'm not familiar with pacemaker design or operation so can't comment on the potential for disrupting pacemaker operation operating. There are some good references on that in previous posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, February 16, 2018 - 11:40 pm:

application/pdf
medtronic pacemaker 1.pdf (53.2 k)
application/pdf
medtronic SSL_Radio_Frequency_Transmission_RevB.pdf (28.4 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 06:45 am:

James
I have a pacer and use a HCCT and weld with a wire feed. It is the large welders that are a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 07:31 am:

Beside pacemakers, anyone having a magnetically adjustable V-P shunt (Strata) would be well advised to stay away from ANY localized magnetic fields. If you can feel a magnetic tug as Mike mentioned in his example, then you don't want to be in that situation with this type of implant. The effects due to a change of flow resistance will be felt shortly - BTDT. The adjustable shunt however is a Godsend for patients over the fixed flow type.

Regards,
Garnet

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration