OT-Towing set-up advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT-Towing set-up advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:01 am:

Just ordered and purchased my first enclosed trailer to transport my Model T in comfort. I would eventually like to hit the road to attend tours out of my immediate area. Its a 22' (18' box), extra height. The tow vehicle is 2016 F150 157" WB Supercrew, est. GVW 6700 lbs. The trailer with load should be about 4700 GVW. I was wondering about the wisdom of adding a weight equalizing hitch to the rig. Interested in hearing from folks who have more experience in towing these rigs than me. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:19 am:

We're on our second enclosed trailer for hauling our T's. We tow it with a Chev. Suburban and always use an equalizing hitch. That said, the Suburban has an air ride suspension and I don't like it. It's too wishy - washy as far as I'm concerned. Strong springs and shocks would be much better.

You could load your T in the trailer and try it close to home to see how it pulls, but I strongly recommend the weight distributing hitch. Consider how it would be in strong winds or rough roads without that hitch and you'll know you would want it.

Just my opinion.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:22 am:

In my opinion a good weight equalizing hitch is a very smart investment if you plan on towing on highways and for long distances.

Especially when towing an enclosed trailer on highways they will reduce swaying when getting past by semi trucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:34 am:

I tow a 9,000 pound tractor on a 22 foot tilt flat bed trailer with the same truck as you have and have a standard frame hitch that causes no problems. I must admit that I have never taken this set up more than 250 miles from home but I am very particular about load balance and chaining down properly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:56 am:

May I also suggest getting a sway control device Since my towing speed is 90ks(55mph) I do get passed by every transport on the road which pushed me to the soft shoulder,sway control helped reduce this problem.
Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:58 am:

My current trailer

I have always used a weight distributon equalizer set up

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

Kevin,
I have a trailer like yours and use both a sway control arm and weight equalizer set up when towing with my 1/2 ton P/U. When towing with my Motor Home, these devices are not required.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 01:33 pm:

I use sway control arms and weight equalizer set ups on both my trailers. The sway control is great in strong cross winds and when a semi blows by you at 85 mph. I tow with a suburban set up for trailering but was not happy with the handling without them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 02:18 pm:

Thanks for the feedback guys! A good equalizer is now on my order list when the trailer arrives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Spies - Ft. Walton Bch,FL on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

note: "a good equalizer AND SWAY CONTROL " is a good idea.

Like:

https://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Reese_Strait_Line_reg__800_lb_Trunnion_St yle_Weight_Distribution_Kit,66073

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 03:28 pm:

I made a purpose built, double axle (brakes on both) trailer to haul a 6000 lb. stationary engine from West Virginia back to California and spent the money for an equalizing hitch. It was WORTH IT. I was able to tow at speeds up to 80 mph on stretches of I-80 with no problems at all. No sway, no wandering and the pickup's nose was at the normal height.

Do it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration