Need triple pin help..........

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need triple pin help..........
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 01:46 pm:

First of all, I know I should have asked first....

I drove my old triple pins out several weeks ago, and ordered new ones from one of the vendors. The new pins are nicely finished, but have a dark band or ring at the enlarged end. This ring is larger than the oversize section of the pin.

Again, I should have asked first.....

This morning I fashioned a driver from a piece of 7/8 bar stock and drove all three in with a small sledge. They went in well, nice and tight, until I got to that ring...and that's where they stopped (seated). All three measure 1.520-1.525 on the other side of the flywheel.

Now, I swear the old pins were flush with the flywheel. Having them protrude like this is going to complicate the mounting of my aluminum magnet ring, unless I mill a small recess to accommodate the protrusion. Is that measurement (length) for the triple gears correct?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 02:17 pm:

To add to the above.......I just tried one of the triple gears on all three pins, and the end of the pins are below the surface of the gear by perhaps 1/16" (rough guess).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 02:44 pm:

Scroll over to about 11 minutes in on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfG9Ib1udxc&index=18&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGm KK1nA0Yctp6G

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 02:53 pm:

Thanks Mark. It doesn't show the pins being driven all the way down, but it sure looks like they are when he's assembling the magnets. I have a hard time believing that cast iron would accept that last 1/16" without cracking. Should I apply more "muscle" and drive them down flush?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

I haven't had to do it myself, so I defer to Mike, Herm, or some of the other rebuilders.

What say ye, experts? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

GOT 'EM! I used a little more energetic "whalloping" and they all seated flush with the cast iron. Frankly, I'm a little amazed.....thought for sure they wouldn't go. Guess I have to trust our vendors a little more.....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

We use a press to put the pins in, and we go level. A hammer is not the best way to put pins in. Before you ever put a new pin in, make sure that the pin part, of the shaft, where the bushing runs, are all the same size. It would be easier to exchange pins, then to polish the larger part down. They haven't been uniform for us.

When done putting pins in, then check for cracks again.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:12 pm:

The originals I have seen, have had the little larger Dia. on the end. Look at it this way, it won't go through any further.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

The Ford print shows a 1/16 wide shoulder at the end of the pin. Its there to lock the pin between the shoulder and the magnet that sits on top of it. I recall that its about .010" larger than the press fit diameter. Standard press fit diameter is .6795/.6800 or there abouts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration