Ford - open or closed?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ford - open or closed?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 01:58 pm:

This has been asked before, but it does not hurt to revisit...

When you hear "Model T" what year and model do you visualize?

What year and model of Brass Model T do you find desirable?

What year and model of Black shell Model T do you find desirable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 02:22 pm:

When I hear "model T" I still think of the 1914 Touring car and the later Centerdoor sedan. I really like the looks of both models. Of course, I don't own either of those. My tudor sedan and touring are both '26 models. Human nature: you always want what you don't have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Susanne on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 02:40 pm:

This is so hard to answer... I think of a brass touring, specifically something pre-13ish. Or a 20's centerdoor. Or a speedster... or an improved fordor in maroon or green... or the 15 roadster I took my driving test in... or... or... or...

Black T's - well, not black, the last year, '27. either the little pickup roadster or a sedan. Something about wire wheels... and spare tires... and color. And 4 dip inspection covers.

Brass? There's just so many... the '12's for the deep blue color and the last year of a lot of brass... '15's as you don't need carbide (or a gas supplier on your payroll to fill prestolite tanks) for lights... open valve motors...

Seriously hard question to answer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

I remember the cars which I saw when I was a boy. I can remember black coupes, centerdoors, and fordoors. I also remember two touring cars. One had a good top and the other had one hanging in rags. I saw these cars around town almost every day. I might have seen some 26-27 cars, but they look so similar to the Model A especially the open cars I would have thought they were A-s.
I don't remember seeing any brass cars on the road at that time, however it was in the 1940's and the brass cars would have been over 25 years old. Before the great depression, most people would have sold or traded their old brass cars for either a black one or a Model A. Then the depression came followed by WWII so no new civilian cars were affordable or available for about 15 years. That is why so many black T's remained.
It wasn't until after the war when the Model T clubs were formed, that I saw many brass cars.
As far as brass T's, I like the ones with the wood firewall and hood former best. The black cars, any year. And same for the "Improved version"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 04:19 pm:

When I hear Model T I think of a touring, could be any year but mostly black era, 1917 to 1925. I have never owned a touring but that was the most common body style and what comes to mind.
"What year and model of Brass Model T do you find desirable?" 1914 touring. :-)

(Message edited by redmodelt on February 17, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 05:40 pm:

Why not buy a Model T book, and make up your own mind!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

Laurel and Hardy in an early 20's Touring car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

OK, I'll play. When I was five or six I was given a Revell plastic model kit of a 1910 torpedo roadster, so for a long time that was my mental image of a "Model T Ford". I was kind of disillusioned when I found out they didn't all look like that. When I got my own T and got into the lore, I guess you could say my mental image then included them all, from '09 to '27.

Which brass T do I find most desirable ? Well, I'm still in love with the '10 - '11 torpedo roadster.

Which "black" T do I find most desirable ? I really like the early black coupes with suicide doors and stirrup handles !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

'10 and '11 Torpedo is my favorite brass T and the Centerdoor is my favorite black T even though I am partial to open cars. I just love the look of that high arched roof line and oval rear window on the Centerdoor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 01:23 pm:

My first sighting of a Model T was in 1946 when we moved to the old farm in Missouri, as the neighboring farm had what we(My Dad) called a cracker box on wheels. It was a 4 Dr, year I don't know, but the engine was worn out from what my Dad said, and is another story.
Now I have been in California since 1956 and saw a few here in Redding, I became interested in "T" and saw one advertised as a basket case. Well I took the chance and bought it. It is my profile photo. And it needed a companion so I ended up putting a Depot hack together. Oh what fun they are!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 01:25 pm:

OOOOPPPP"SSSS
My profile photo shows my Hack instead of my 19 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Conwill on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 09:09 am:

That's easy, my Tilly.

Tilly the T

As far as a favorite brass T, it would have to be a '15 touring.

Brass T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:30 am:

1 Touring, as in Fred MacMurray or The Boys.

2 1915 touring or runabout. Enough brass to be pretty, but not so much as to constitute a career in polishing.

3 1923-1925 touring or runabout.

But, given the time, space, and budget for more cars, would I have a closed car, an Improved Car, or an early brass? You bet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:38 am:

When you hear "Model T" what year and model do you visualize? Anything factory, no rods.

What year and model of Brass Model T do you find desirable? 1908

What year and model of Black shell Model T do you find desirable? None, but I love looking at them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:50 pm:

When you hear "Model T" what year and model do you visualize? - I picture a black-era touring for whatever reason.

What year and model of Brass Model T do you find desirable? - A '15 for sure. A roadster would be nice, center doors are so darn charming, but my heart has recently been stolen by that coupelet in the other thread.

What year and model of Black shell Model T do you find desirable? - My '26 touring-turned-farm truck, of course!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

This is sort of like asking an 18-year-old male, "Which is better, blonde, brunette or red-head?" -There is, of course, no correct (or safe) answer, just personal preference.

My own personal preference would be for one of the rare, early-1912 Tourings because they had the 1911-style, stepped wooden body with the doorless front cockpit and a de-bugged rear-end and the more desirable enclosed-valve engine. -The '12 had the diamond-tufted upholstery, acetylene lamps and all the dazzling brasswork of the earliest cars (and brass rules—sorry, it just does). -The long, slanty, windshield brace pulls the whole look together and 1912 was the last year for that glorious item. -And finally, it came in a color other than black. -The only thing it's missing would be hood louvers, which I think would only help the already gorgeous look of the '12.

The downside of the '12 Touring would be that there is nowhere to mount a hand-Klaxon and it would be a sin to hang an electric starter on its lovely engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

I got the bug when the Model T bunch came through Mountain View AR a few years ago. They had every type of Model T and I loved them all. When I attended a farm sale a few months ago I could not resist the Fordor, 1923. I thought the later sedans with a color were the best looking but I'm stuck with black.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration