Loose Rivets on Rear Axle housing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Loose Rivets on Rear Axle housing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

I'm in the process of rebuilding a Ruckstell and have come upon loose rivets holding the outer casting onto the right axle tube. This is a large drum rear.

What have you guys done to back up the rivet inside of the tube while re-peening the rivet head? How were these made when new?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 09:01 pm:

If the rivets are loose, they must be removed and new ones installed. Rock solid bucking is the key to successful riveting. The horn of a large blacksmith anvil would probably work well for your particular job. Install the rivet, then heat the shank red hot with a pencil flame in a torch. You don't want to heat the axle tube. Squash (expand) the shank by hitting it SQUARELY with a heavy ball pein hammer, then re-heat the end and form the head with a heading tool in an air hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 09:10 pm:

R.V. has it 100% correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

Do you by chance know the dimensions of these rivets?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, February 17, 2018 - 10:00 pm:

I had made a heading bit for my air hammer a few years ago. Now that you mention the anvil, I can envision exactly what to do. Any large shaft welded to a heavy plate and clamped to the welding bench would do, as long as it fits in past the other heads. Now, I just need to get the rivets. McMaster? Actually, these may be the same as would be used to fasten the blades to a sickle bar hay mower. I may just have them. That's what I made the heading bit for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio in TN on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:03 am:

Dave,

A source for rivets I have used back in 2008 was:
Big Flats Rivet Co.
35 Sunny Circle
Horseheads, N.Y. 14845
or
Jim & Pat Dix
PO Box 100
Big Flats, N.Y. 14814

(607) 562-3501
www.bigflatsrivet.com

Best of luck,
Dom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 11:16 am:

Dom, thank you for that contact. I just reached out to them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration