Direction of distributor rotation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Direction of distributor rotation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

I have several Texas T distributor mounts using Volkswagen distributor heads. Direction of rotation is counter clockwise. A good friend has a similar set up but with a Bosch distributor head. His distributor turns clockwise and uses a bell crank from the timing rod to the distributor. I have to assume this is an earlier model than the single lever now being used. I also assume the gear set is that drives the distributor is cut to allow for the clockwise rotation. Does anyone know when this change might have occurred and why? Both work well but I just found it curious as to the change in rotation.
Thanks
Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

I think Texas T just changed directions to avoid the bell crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 01:01 am:

I think it happens about 2012, I remember installing two, one with the bell crank and a couple of months later, no bell crank. Time flies when you’re having fun. :-)
Ben Hardman would know for sure,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 10:51 am:

I'm sure Texas T changed the direction because the distributor head they use needs to turn CCW in order for its centrifical advance to work correctly. Otherwise it's an "automatic retard" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 12:10 pm:

Seems I read somewhere that they reversed the rotation to "disable" the automatic advance. I have one that has the bell crank purchased back in the early '90's. I always wanted to open it up to see how the centrifugal advance was disabled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 12:39 pm:

All the Texas T Distributors I have seen have run counter Clockwise, the way they should.

The ones with the bell crank and run clock wise were made by Performance T Parts, in Texas, by R.G. Reader, because he used the wrong gears, the cam turns the Distributor the wrong direction, and that a bell crank had to be used, or it would run reverse action on the spark leaver.

The only way you can get rid of the bell crank, is change gears, if the Dis. shaft is the same size?

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 01:16 pm:

If a distributor has a centrifugal advance, it must run in the direction that it was designed for, whether that's CW or CCW. It's not a universal fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Devine on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 04:05 pm:

Tom,

Herm is correct the TTP distributors all run counter clockwise always have. The Texas Performance T distributors use a VW bug distributor that does run clock wise and has the lobe for cylinder #3 timing retarted to keep that cylinder of the air cooled engine from melting down. The TTP Distributor head is manufactured for TTP with the correct cam profile in the distributor head and no internal advance. The TTP distributor head is not a will fit taken from another car.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Bill Devine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 07:51 pm:

. Everyone I ever have used is CCW. This one with the bell crank messed with our heads until some noted the rotation. I do have a question. Listed in the instruction book from TTP, it says there are different points used in distributor heads with clips that use a screw and ones that use a pop rivet. What's the difference? All mine have pop rivets. Allso, after having the head top plate off, with the weights tied back in a fixed position, why not just take them out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

The VW distributor with automatic advance has a curve the reaches its maximum advance at 2500 rpm. This is way beyond the range of most Model T engines, with standard 11:40 axle ratio is 24mph per 1000 rpm. So even at 48 mph (2000 rpm) the advance would not be correct.
On the speedster I used the VW 009 distributor and removed one of the two springs that control the advance. While I have never measured the results, the engine runs just great without any change of the timer advance lever. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

Interesting to know. Thanks Tony and everyone else that commented.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

I have replaced the TTP distributor heads with generic Chinese knockoffs many times with no ill effects. Just pinch the advance mechanism where there is no centrifugal advance and they work great. The reason the performance T parts distributors ran clockwise is because the Bosch 009 head is designed to run clockwise. You can swap a head in them with no modifications needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 08:12 am:

I have done the same thing with the cheap knock offs with good results. One parts store here sells the units with Petronics included for under $60. The groove where the screw holds that holds the head in place on the cast holder has to be widened, and I remove everything under the top plate. (weights, etc.)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration