Hooked For Life. Can't Wait To Get Out On The Back Country Roads.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Hooked For Life. Can't Wait To Get Out On The Back Country Roads.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

After taking my first ever drive in my newly purchased Model T, I am hooked for life.
I only drove a few blocks on probably 70 year old dry rotted tires, yet declared it one of the greatest days of my life!
Can't wait to get the car sorted out, so I can really drive her.
I wish there was a local Model T chapter closer to home. Wondering if there's enough interest to start a Sussex/Warren NJ local chapter?
Not sure of everything that would be involved in doing so.

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 08:43 pm:

Gene,

There are 3 clubs in New Jersey. http://www.mtfca.com/clubpages/chapters.htm#nj I'm sure there is someone close to guide you in sorting out your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 08:43 pm:

You have discovered a great thing. Some of us who have been doing this for years forget the excitement of it being a new thing.
Thanks for reminding us of that joy.
It only gets better and better.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

Man .....

I thought this was gonna be a thread about runnin Shine ....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

FJ:

Maybe in a Forty Ford with 85 HP V8 and big trunk.
Don't think my Model T would out run any law enforcement vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

I remember so very clearly the day I drove my Model T for the very first time. -The previous owner had trailered it to my home the evening before and I just couldn't wait to get her out on the road. -As I pushed her out of the garage, somebody driving by yelled out his window, "Hey! Nice car!" -I'm sure he never imagined I'd remember that moment for life.

I recall how driving it for the first time was such a challenge; my concentration was absolutely saturated, and I remember thinking that I'd never master this car. -Well, that was wrong and it only took about a week of occasional short trips to get comfortable with it. -Another few days and it was second nature. -I'll send you an instant message with the story of my first ride (I'd post it here, but the forum gang has seen it way too many times, already).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

Welcome to the hobby, Gene. Believe it or not, it keeps getting more fun all the time. Hope to meet you at a tour sometime down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:25 pm:

I live In Morristown. I've driven my T to Newton and back. Give me a call. While there are three clubs in NJ, the one in the northern part of the state does restoration clinics, but doesn't tour. I'd be interested in joining a northern-based touring T club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:31 pm:

Gene,

You would be perfect for running Hooch or Bootleg Smokes

The Coppers would never suspect I tell yaí ......

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:39 pm:

Gilbert:
Were you an owner or a '36-'37 Cord Sportsman ??

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:41 pm:

Gilbert: "of"...not or.... late night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 06:39 am:

Bob - Nope. I've never had a Cord.

Gil Fitzhugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 09:27 am:

Gene that's why we say "Welcome to the AFFLICTION"! My guess is give yourself a year or two and you'll have another one. That way you'll have one to drive while the other one is down for repairs!! LOL. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 09:43 am:

That's what they used to say about Jaguars. Ts are a lot cheaper!

Gil Fitzhugh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 12:38 pm:

Good for you Gene on being hooked. The 1st trip down the dirt road my T took the wife yelled from the yard " Im not pushing that d%#@ thing back home"! No worries it made it and hasnt left me stranded yet.
Drive safe and often!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 01:09 pm:

Dallas,

My wife refused to get in for a spin.
Told our friends and relatives that I'm a crazy driver! lol

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 03:20 pm:

Gene, she will come around. At least mine did. She didnt want anybody to see her in it. I have worked on the T and her so now they both enjoy it. Nothing like driving a T that runs good. I think after she seen other people's reaction to seeing this little wood wheel wonder putting down the road she changed her perception of being seen in it. Everyone knows who it is when we go to town. There are no other T's around other than a couple garage kept parade driven only cars. Nobody uses them for every day tasks like some here on the forum. Gene let me warn you that they do multiply and others will agree. You dont have to go looking for them, they somehow find you and beg to go home with you. Enjoy yours Gene but be warned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 03:58 pm:

I finally started my Model T yesterday. I bought it two weeks ago and have been preparing to get it running. Unfortunately, it was too muddy to take it out for a spin but I did drive it about 20 feet in the barn just because. It ran like a turd and needs lots of TLC but Iím enjoying it. I already have a plan for my first on-road jaunt. I will make sure the trailer is hooked to the truck and ready to go at a momentís notice. If the Model T dies, I will call my wife to bring the trailer.

I have a newby, stupid question. The service manual says to lift off the hood for access but doesnít say how. My hoodís hinge pin is captured at the cowl and radiator so it canít lift off. Is there a trick to removing it without removing the radiator shell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

Mark, the hood should just lift up at the center of the radiator. Assume you have the latches undone. The center hinge rod just sets in a grove that is open at the top of the radiator shell. I did not see the year, and my comments should apply to non Brass T's. Unfortunately don't know much about the brass. Enjoy it - as all the posts mention - nothing like driving a T. The more you drive, the more fun!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent bassani Califon, NJ on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

gene, are you close to washington in warren county? there are a few of us here by my restaurant and a few more by my house in lebenon township give me a call

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

Frank, I think I found the problem with my hood. It appears that I have a rear hood support, part 4061, riveted to the radiator shell rather than a front support, part 4002.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 12:03 am:

I know about that first time feeling. I've had that feeling many times over the past 55+ years of T ownership. I'm about to rediscover it again possibly this week after a two year restoration of a very good original car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 01:45 am:

Gene My first solo drive in Oct 17 scared the Hell out of me and the sparks coming out of the ignition switch didn't help much, My free natural is like finding a needle in a hay stack, So the emergency brake gets a lot of use, But I am getting better still intimating but hopefully that will pass. A veteran T guy told me "Don't drive and pick Your nose " They also say drive it like it didn't have any brakes and You will be OK, , Be neat if you could drive your car to School occasionally and show your students what basic transportation is like, Their Boom box's has more power than You T does. Good Luck have Fun
from another Novice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Flowers - Apple Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 01:01 am:

Gene, I bought my 27 T a little over a year ago. It hadn't run in about 20 years and took me about 3 months to get it running. I will never forget that first trip down the road. It was only about 1/2 mile round trip, but I was definitely hooked. I've had it all the way up to 32 mph! Raced a 1913 REO and lost, but not by much. LOL Have a great time with your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:25 am:

Gene, I was exited like you are for a while after we bought our '21 Touring. I hope the feeling lasts for you. Enjoy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration