Muncie transmission connecting joints for speedster project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Muncie transmission connecting joints for speedster project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Szekeres on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:07 pm:

I know that it isnít a new topic. Itís just new to us. We are working on my 9 year old Sonís speedster. He just bought this Muncie and we are trying to figure out how the heck will we connect it on both sides. I know that we will have to shorten the drive shaft and the torque tube. Does anyone has, these joints or knows how to make them? We arenít in a hurry, William still has 8 more years before he will show up to his drivers test with this car...

Willi’s speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Szekeres on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:22 pm:

Here are the transmission pictures. We actually bought 2 transmissions, will be able to make one good one out of the 2

Muncie

Front

Back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

Just FYI, the rear coupling is simply a straight thru square with a round OD. The front is a special u joint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 10:49 pm:

The transmission is 13.25" long, and requires a spl u-joint at each end, not hard to make out of standard Ford U-joints. The rear half of a Ford u-joint is shortened, for the front of the trans. The rear u-joint uses two of the female parts. It should fit on the DS. The front one just sits between.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Sunday, February 18, 2018 - 11:36 pm:

Since you have 8 years, why don't you start saving for a KC Warford and get a transmission you can easily shift on the go and won't get your son hung up in neutral trying to shift as he goes down the road,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 01:52 am:

What fun is that! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Here is an original front Muncie joint for your info. The rear coupling that has a straight thru square inside is easiest made from the tractor component in second picture. Just saw/grind off the yoke to size. Maybe someone else can tell us the length.

a

b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

OT but I like your tow rig. What year and make of wagon is it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 11:16 pm:

Dean, you and I are on the same page. A light blue 73 Pontiac wagon's rear door nearly took my finger nail off when I was a kid.
Neat speedster and interesting thread!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 11:39 pm:

I sent a PM about the U-joint Layden pictured. I seem to remember that there was a possible issue with shortening a joint from a former forum thread but that may take some Google'ing to confirm.

That's going to be a great looking speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 08:19 am:

While Dean and Duey like the tow rig, I like the blue British? wagon :-) Hillman Husky?
A kid with a speedster thread is pretty cool stuff too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Szekeres on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 05:36 pm:

Thank you all for the replies! The wagon in question is our ďshaginí WagonĒ a 71 Buick with a 455. The Blue thing is an East German made Barkas. It has a 3 cylinder 2 stroke engine on the front. I own 3 out of the 6 known in the US. One is a wrecker config only 50 ever made.

Zac, Iíve sent you and email.

Is that original joint is for sale?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:44 pm:

Peter, sent you some pics of it earlier.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration