OT- 56 Progress and the Boy Gets a Real Work Out

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT- 56 Progress and the Boy Gets a Real Work Out
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 11:53 am:

Saturday I had plans to remove the front end sheet metal and take the engine and transmission out. Friday I twisted my back and knew I wouldn't be able to do it. I called the boy and asked him if he wanted to do it. Of course he was all excited. We started early Saturday morning, I guided him, but he did all the work. The radiator and wiring were already out. We took a half hour lunch and by 5:30 the engine and transmission were out. Not bad for a 6 year old first grader. He needed help with the chain falls as he doesn't weigh enough to balance out the weight of the engine. Sometimes I don't realize how young he is, one minute he's playing toy cars with his brother while waiting for his breakfast, then next he is out in the garage taking an engine out of a real car. His younger brother wanted to help as you can see in the last picture. I told him he could take the front bumper assembly apart. Ellen supervised him doing that, first thing he said to her was "Grammy my hands are dirty" LOL, and that was all for him

Removing the driveshaft

Cutting out part of the exhaust system

The weight of two of them makes jacking easier

Removing the rollover fixture

Removing the transmission mount

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

Dan that smile with the engine hanging says it all. Glad your treating the boy right.
Thanks. That made my day. I have photos of myself sitting in the engine compartment at about 8 years old changing spark plugs on a straight 6.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 12:52 pm:

I see a few child labor laws being broken here. The kids look like they are having fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

Teacher: Class, it's time for sharing. Johnny, what did you do over the weekend ?

Johnny: I played with my new puppy.

That's nice, Johnny. Suzie, what did you do ?

Suzie: I helped my mommy bake cookies.

That's nice, Suzie. Jimmy, what did you do ?

Jimmy: My family went to Disneyland.

That's nice, Jimmy. Bobby, what did you do ?

Bobby: Well, my grandpa hurt is back. So I had to pull the engine and tranny out of his '56 Ford for him.

Teacher: Yeah, right, Bobby. Did any of your imaginary little friends help ?

Bobby: Just my four year old brother.

Teacher: Moving on now. Annie, what did you do ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 02:27 pm:

Excellent, Dick! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

Dick

It's funny you made a comment about teachers in school not believing the comments of the students. I had some good friends who brought their grandson to my place one weekend and while they visited with others their grandson went out with me on the backhoe while I was digging a trench and then doing some back grading. Well I had him operating the hoe digging and then had him grading and when we got done I had him drive the hoe back to the house and his grandmother had some concern about him driving (I stood in the cab behind him) and I said why shouldn't he drive he just finished digging a ditch and grading with it. Well on Tuesday afternoon she called me to tell me he got in trouble with the teacher in school for telling lies about operating a backhoe and she had to call the school and tell him that he was not lying and she could have the guy who owns the hoe call to confirm it if they required her to. So your story is right on target.

Dan,

You are so lucky to be able to work with your grandson like that. My grandson is now 11 and I haven't seen him for 6 years! I hope to soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:25 pm:

Very cool set of pics :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 08:08 pm:

Six years old and using a cutting torch? He's way ahead of the curve! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

Dan, What a great way to spend time with your grandson. Imagine in 50 years he'll be telling his grandkids how he helped pull an engine and tranny out of grandpa's old car when he was 6 years old. HIS grandkids won't believe him either! Priceless photos!!
Many of my friends won't believe that I was driving a tractor before I could reach the pedals. I had to slip off the seat to step on the clutch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 09:15 pm:

Dan,

Really enjoyed the pictures!

You better be careful, you start working the boy much harder and his likely to raise his labor rates!

Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

Dan, that's magic stuff. Kids rarely get those opportunities these days. They are never too young to get their hands dirty.

As my hearing deteriorates, My only caution is that you invest in some hearing protection for them when working a rattle gun. I am told hearing loss is cumalative, so I am definitely going down hill

Keep up the good work!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

A few years ago when my grandson was about five, I was adding some extra lights and switches to his parents home. Some of the effort was pulling it cables. So I had him in the basement pulling and me in the attic feeding. Well suddenly he stopped pulling. I of course was exasperated and climbed down from the attic the into the basement to see why he had given up.
Poor little sole, the cable was stuck and somewhere there is a picture of him pulling the cable with his feet off the floor. ......
He is now at UCSD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 11:13 pm:

Years ago, friends of mine and their 2 kids (8yo girl & 10yr boy) came for a visit. Kids got bored real fast. I started up the backhoe and staked out for the septic tank hole I needed. They had to take turns every 15 min. 20 years later they still talk about it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 11:24 pm:

The dirty hands remark recalls a story my mom told me. She said when I was a toddler I hated to get dirty. But a couple of years later I came in the house filthy one day and she remarked what a mess I was. I told her, "You can't have fun without getting a little dirty." Words to live by. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 01:52 am:

Oh yeah, wonderful stuff. When kids want to learn? They should be taught. There is no better time to get them interested, than when they ARE interested. The best time to teach about safety? And potential dangers? Is long before they are big enough to do something stupid and get themselves killed. (And Allan B Australia's comment about safety precautions is right on! My hearing is also getting bad because I never got used to wearing hearing protection.)
When I was six years old? I was driving my grandfather's Ford 9N tractors around the loading areas by the barns, and pulling trailers out of the peach orchards. I was also driving and operating the fork-lift, and using power tools. And my second grade teacher did not believe me either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 11:12 am:

Dan, I'm glad you are doing this for your grandkids. I know so many fathers in this hobby who have never involved their kids in the hobby, and wonder why the kids have no interest! It is up to the parent to instill that interest, and take them on tours and swap meets. That is what is needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

While we are on safety, Don't forget to include wearing a respirator or filter mast when on the riding mower, tractor work or any work where there is air borne dust or particulates circulating. and after 30 years of working around Police Sirens My hearing is also impaired. "When You Know better You can do better" Fond memories the Boys will have forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 06:24 pm:

Dallas, he is determined. I told him we were taking the engine out Saturday. As the day wore on I told him we could finish up Sunday if we didn't get it out. That's part of the smile, he got it done.
Dick I had to laugh, I have let his teachers since preschool know what he does so this doesn't happen to him.
Denny that's rough, I hope it works out for you.
Noel,I will run into that before long. He has already told me he can drive a T. I asked makes you think so. His response, "because I have been watching you.
Ed, I'll have to tell him it's a trade off for what he is learning. Before we go out to work he fills a little bag with candy "for our breaks" When we are working on a T we always "have to sit on the running board" for this. He got so focused and involved he never took a break. Maybe I'll just have to give him more candy.
Larry you are right they have to be exposed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 12:48 am:

Shoot Dan, I'm either spot on or way behind with some of my grandkids and it's hard to tell which. :-)
One 6 year old is into sports so he cannot see outside of that bubble.
The 5 year old crawls under, hooks up the battery, honks the horn, turns on the lights and uses the starter on the 18.
One 6 year old twin is best left in the back of the office fiddling with 50's-80's HO and N trains and has been instrumental in helping me remove 15 years of dust. He reminds me of me. His twin wants to eat and watch TV.
The 10 year old granddaughter just wants to drive the T's.
Photos like these make me thankful I let my grand-kids crawl all over every piece of equipment I have if they want!
You're a fantastic grandpa to this boy. Give him an extra squeeze and a thank you from me. They need them.
His little brother is next! :-)
Thanks Dan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

Duey, Thanks, With kids you never can tell. I was putting in new cabinets when the boy was about a year old, I was on my back working on the inside when he crawled on top of me and crawled right in to see what I was doing. He has been glued to me ever since.
Ellen took them to a hotel overnight so they could swim today and tomorrow. She just called me telling me they locked their swimming trunks in the room safe. The boy told her they could go back and get Papas torch and cut it open. She told them calling the front desk was a better idea. They are always good for a laugh.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration