What Carb Do I Have?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What Carb Do I Have?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bird on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 04:30 pm:

I picked this up and not familiar with it. If you can chime in to what I have and what is missing. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

I think that Holley model goes on the 1912 model Ts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:04 pm:

1912 Holley "2 screw"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:06 pm:

its the rare "2 screw" with three screws!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

Earlier model G , 1915

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

It is a 1912 Holley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

Except for the protrusion in place of the normal fuel inlet, it looks very much like a Holley G. But nothing shown in the encyclopedia is an exact match. Are we sure this is for a Model T? What does the top plate say?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:29 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

Itís called a Holley H1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

There was three versions, a two screw, one 3 screw with a slot and clamp, and one 3 screw without. See pics of all 3 types here from earlier thread.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/591778.html?1449461302

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

That carb is a thing of beauty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 06:39 pm:

As others have indicated, it is a Holley H1 for a 1912 T. They are a good carburetor in service, but the needle and seat mechanism can wear and give troubles. Your looks to be missing the float and hinge mechanism, which Stam Howe modifies when fixing the needle and seat problem. He has/had the slotted screw in covers made. The L shaped fitting to which the fuel line is screwed, is also missing and is made of unobtainium.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bird on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Steve, the top plate says Holley Pats Pend Detroit. There is also a small k stamped on the top of the carb body. see pictures at the top of the thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

I have seen the Holley H-1 also referred to as a 4550. They appear, to me, to be similar if not the same.

I suspect that this was a good running carburettor as the design was used by the American Watch Tool Company of Waltham Massachusetts. The body is aluminum and the bowl is a smaller diameter than on the Holley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 11:37 pm:

As far as I know, the Waltham carb was made for the Metz that was pretty close to being a knock off of the Model T but none were actually produced as accessory carbs for T's. Further enlightenment welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 01:29 am:

Hi Stan,

Oh, you are correct that the AWT Company carb was produced for the Metz Company and never (as far as I know) offered on the aftermarket.

I may have to take it of the Metz and try it on the Model T just to see how it performs there. On the Metz it starts and runs quite well. I have to shut off the fuel to the carb whenever I stop the engine as I have failed to get the float valve to stop leaking. That miserable valve design is my only criticism of that carburettor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 04:06 am:

Bill, that miserable float/nneedle design is w0hat Stan modified for me and a mate here in Australia.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration