Slightly OT: Gray pics For those that are interested

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Slightly OT: Gray pics For those that are interested
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:25 pm:

Here a couple of pics of my Gray, the original title and an ad. I've collected a ton of literature and other extra parts. Now, I gotta go get the stuff I just bought!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

Great looking touring. Good luck on your road trip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

Nice! I hope to see more about it and the "new project (?)"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 05:36 pm:

Great looking car Marty. Windshield,cowl anh hood look similar to my buddys Scripps Booth touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Thanks for the look-see. What a sharp looking little touring !!
I wonder if Gray was one of the companies that got cross-wise with Packard for looking too much like their signature radiator shape ? Looks like a "baby Packard". ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 07:25 pm:

I agree with the other comments.
It's a great looking and unique touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

Marty,
That is a beautiful car but it is blue not gray!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

Like very much! For some reason I have liked drum head lights for a long time. I guess people liked them back then too. You could get covers for your T to make them into drum style. Oh! I like the color too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

How nice to see the cars that were on the road with the T's back in the day. That is one we don't often get a look at. Thanks for adding to the story.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

Thanks, guys. Once the weather improves (and I make sure the T is tour ready and I pick up the trailer load of Gray parts from Iowa) I'm getting back to working on the Gray.

I'll keep you posted, if you like, but I guess I'm a little surprised you want to know about the progress of a non-T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 05:45 pm:

Seems to have a lot of ques from the improved T's. Were they trying to capture the Ford market be doing a little copying of design?

Beautiful looking car, I think I would just neaten the underhood wiring some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 06:02 pm:

Chad - it was Ford that was a bit late to the styling party - note the Gray is a '24 and Ford didn't come with the improved model until August '25. Chxxy also had that styling a couple of years earlier than Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 06:48 pm:

Roger, your right. I did not take notice of the years.

What is the reason behind the similar appearance of the engine though?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

Chad, the wiring will be neatened up. Right now, the car is all apart. Not sure why the T and Gray engines look similar. Both engines are thermo-syphon, no water or oil pump so that could be why. Both 4 cylinder and about the same horsepower.

Gray, like so many other automakers, tried to but couldn't compete with Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 01:08 pm:

Ford competed by using economies of scale to produce a cheap, high quality car.

Gray competed by using economies of quality to produce a cheap car...

(Sorry Marty) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 02:26 pm:

Dad told of a Gray that his father had. For some reason, he had built the Gray onto a Ford T chassis? I wonder if the Gray body was nicer than what he had, and he set it upon a T chassis?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

There is a Gray in the houston area. I worked on it some years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Conwill on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 09:13 am:

Having grown up near Muskegon, where there was once a big Continental Motors plant, I've always been fascinated with the companies in their orbit, like Gray Marine and DeVaux. Did the Gray motorcar use a Continental engine? Seems like 2/3 of the assembled cars in the era did, with the other 1/3 using Lycoming (a gross simplification, I know).

Very handsome car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

David,

Gray used a Gray engine. I believe it was the only component they made for themselves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 06:34 pm:

Gray started out by making marine engines.

And, yes, Jerry Van, they were not the best cars. However, mine is!!!!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 02:59 am:

I don't care! I like them for a unique place they had (and still have) in automotive history. An unusual connection with Ford history, and it interests me that a car that was so common for the short time it was produced, could become so rare today. I have seen about a dozen era photos of Gray dealerships, and fewer cars than that exist today.

I have seen two of the survivors myself. One was owned by Bill Harrah, one wasn't. Marty, some day, I hope to meet you face to face, and see your Gray. If I get to see yours? I think that would mean that I would have seen one third of the surviving Grays?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:40 am:

Wayne,

Marty is pretty gray himself, so you can add that one too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Wayne, anytime you are in the Detroit area, you are more than welcome to stop by. I may even make you an authentic Italian dinner. I'm not much of a mechanic -- I should have collected stamps -- but I'm one hellava cook!!! Just ask Jerry Van.

And, yes, Jerry, I may be gray but, just because there is snow on the roof doesn't mean there isn't still fire in the pants -- or something like that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Thanks Marty, I'll pass on the I dinner offer after having lost my appetite reading your last sentence. :-(

(Just kidding, I'll be there!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

This IS a family forum, guys. FURNACE, it is FURNACE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 05:39 pm:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 10:17 pm:

Marty,

Try a little Preparation H for that "fire in the pants".

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration