Leaf Spring replacement

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Leaf Spring replacement
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent bassani Califon, NJ on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

started my leaf replacement today. got the car off the ground and braced. tomorrow i'll take it off.also in the middle of a starter repair(broken bendix and cracked head sleeve). i'm new to the addiction and i must say i love working on these cars. i hope the new spring goes on as easy as the old one comes off. when i took the wheels off the right side had 2 shims and the left 1, common ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

Vincent, shims are common to get around worn axles and hubs, and are an acceptable fix short of replacing both axles and hubs. However, two shims on one side should be avoided. It is better to make one shim of thicker material to set the hub out the same amount. The fewer interfaces between the axle and the hub, the less chance there is fir the parts to 'work' against one another and the greater chance the hub will stay tight on the taper.

Hope this helps.
allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent bassani Califon, NJ on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 06:50 am:

Yes thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 09:04 am:

It's important to check the axle nuts after some miles of driving when the hub has been off - they tend to work loose, especially with shims, so they need some checking of the torque. It's loose hubs that has made them worn enough to need shims in the first place.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration