Multi Lifts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Multi Lifts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

Why doesn't someone reproduce Multi-lifts anymore? I know they used to be reproduced and I know they would not be a high demand item, but I think the same can be said for a lot of other T parts that are reproduced presently, and wouldn't be as expensive or intensive as a cylinder head, camshaft, or Ruxtell. Heck, if the quality was controlled, they could even be made in Taiwan or China if the U.S. distributor wanted to cut production costs for maximum profit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

I would sure buy a set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 09:24 pm:

What do they do that a higher lift cam can't?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 09:40 pm:

They were made by a member of our Dallas club who passed away several years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

They double valve lift.

The ones that were repros, used grade 8 bolts, they were not hard enough.

The bad thing about the, Jr's, the originals said they only lasted about 15,000 miles, and should be replaced.

The first Mulit-lifts, with the housings on the side of the motor, at the valve chambers, I don't know much about, how they lasted, but I do know they were hot.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

Something else, those repros were not taken from a Multi-lift used for a pattern, they were copied, or designed freehand from a Multi-Lift picture!

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 09:56 pm:

Tim, I seem to remember that any lift over 0.290Ē needs a modification to the block to install the camshaft. They had to grind out enough space to allow the high point of the cam to get thru the cam bearing hole. I think the highest I have seen in the various speed books is 0.310Ē. The multi lifts can get close to 0.500Ē :-)
The loads involved on the parts to get the doubling of the valve lift is quite high and probably expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

Iíve seen the repos at swapmeets for about 400 bucks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

The repops were copies of the "AVACO" brand. The original George Riley made "Multi Lift" was intended to be used with a special cylinder head that had a quench type chamber over the piston and a tall mixing chamber over the valves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 11:01 pm:

I have the George Riley Racing Scrapbook and there is a detailed drawing on page 14.
The drawings show how the mechanism extends out of the valve cover area. The stress on those parts looks a good deal less than the repro multi lifts that fit between the pair of valves. Riley claims about a 60% increase of power with maximum speed increasing from 40 to 60mph.
I wonder if it interfered with the inlet manifold. Mind you Riley didnít care as he also manufactured a line of racing carburetors.
Poor crankshaft.
Could be fun while it lasted

(Message edited by Tony_bowker on February 19, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 01:16 am:

In regards to maximum cam valve lift. Antique Auto Ranch in Spokane, WA. will regrind you a cam profile that is said to be .300 ! Tom Carnegie told me this is the cam that most of the Montana 500 participants use (or at least the successful ones). I have read before that cams with higher lift than a stock T cam will rob an engine of low end torque. I was told, "Not so" with the .300. Also, if you are using a 4 to 1 gear or a 3.63 or 4 to 1 with a Ruxtel, you can make up for any engine torque loss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 09:28 am:

I've been saving two brand new sets of the repro Multi-lifts from the hoarder's in hopes of installing a set one day. That is if I live long enough. :-)

BTW: I plan on being buried in a Sea container so I CAN take it all with me! Beats rolling in your grave while the little lady sells it all off for pennies on the dollar. :-(:-(
I Feel The Big One Elizabeth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK9HXu9g5qA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 10:50 am:

Wait a minute JAY...
I looked it up in ďWickie- meadiaĒ ...I think thatís the definition of Hoarder.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 11:02 am:

Because the multilift changes the rate the valve is opened it almost gives a roller cam profile. The valve is open to the stock height twice as fast and then keeps going. Like Kevin said there was a riley head for use with these. It has very large pockets above the valves for improved flow and a fairly flat quench area. Longevity has always been the issue. Someone like Kevin would have to make them for me to consider using them.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 11:54 am:

Andy, I'm sure everything that you and Kevin stated is true, but to reduce the maximum valve lift, without creating the lift that Multi-lift Jrs. and AVACO lifts did, I would think the geometry of the "rocker arm" could be reduced to produce a more streetable lift while still making the accessory, worthwhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

With some simple modifications to the mounting system the MultiLifts can be very functional. The mounting bolt supplied is too brittle and needs to be replaced with a stronger mounting block. The valve stems need to be modified to an adjustable type as you cannot run an adjustable tappet.I installed a set in an engine over 20 years ago and the engine wore out before the MultiLifts did. This car was a heavy coupe that participated in most MTFCA National tours. It could run with the best.
A full 1/2 inch lift with lightning ramp up speeds.
Harry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 02:25 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/125787.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 03:10 pm:

Jerry Hunt passed on several years back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

It's all pretty mute as these days there are a lot of cams available that make decent power without issue.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 04:19 pm:

I looked into remanufacturing then and it's just beyond my financial capabilities right now while in school. I would love to have a set and would buy them from anyone else in a heart beat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

I have a set that I bought from a guy years ago, who said he got them from Chris E. many years ago, and it also came with cut down or shorter valve springs. They are in the trailer going to SD swap meet, or I would see what brand they are.
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

IF someone could provide me with a drawing (preferably digital) of the moving parts I would put together a cost. My thought would be to get them either laser or water jet cut from 8620 steel and then get them case hardened. Personally Iím not really interested in owning them but donít mind looking into it to benefit the hobby.
If you donít have access to the ability to make the drawing, then the loan of the parts would suffice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 07:41 pm:

I never ran the repops myself... But I have known of several sets that did run.

There have been issues with reliability. The jack screw that stabilizes against the top of the valve chamber is far undersized. It doesn't take long for the jack screw to to work loose, then the whole assembly simply moves with the action of the lifter, and you have a stock cam again. And there is no room to increase the size of the Jack screw without major redesign.

I have put an eyeball on the project before, truthfully I would consider making the true "Multi Lift". For the amount of effort involved, I would consider the finer prize.

I have always wanted to flow a T block in various states of porting extremism, then consider the necessary valve train mods to achieve down stream destruction... But my wife says I have more responsible things to do with my time:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

Kevin, I do agree the jack screw is the weak link. I had thought if the housing could be machined as a square tube with appropriate openings for valve clearance, a better jack screw and a more reliable "Multi-lift" could be made.
Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

Gentlemen:
I too have considered building the Avaco type multi-lift ...have done a few drawings and test parts from soft materials ...the machining is not difficult and with proper materials and heat treat a respectful life span could be achieved ...BUT , like with any performance modification a person would probably inflict an excessive amount of abuse ...I know I would ...probably break something too ...I would be interested in blueprinting a set ...the mild ramp I setup would give just over .312" lift with a stock T camshaft ...approx. 1.3:1 ...always an optimist...gene french

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration