Problem with Stromberg OF

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Problem with Stromberg OF
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 10:39 pm:

I have a Stromberg OF on the Speedster. It gives great performance but...... Occasionally however the needle sticks in the down position and with no gas the car wonít start. It seems like the thread on the needle is catching on the float.
Any ideas for a solution?
When I remove the needle the weights fall just like they should.
Should I smooth off the threads thru the float?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 10:42 pm:

I would contact Stan if he doesn't see the question and answer it here. He is the OF expert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 11:05 pm:

http://strombergof.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 11:16 pm:

On the OF carb, with the geometry of the weights,the needle drops when the float rises so I can't see how the float can't drag the needle down. I've never seen an OF needle with more that maybe 1/2" of thread at the very top for the adjustment so there shouldn't be any thread in the area of the float. I'm guessing that you have a "viton" type needle attached to some aftermarket rod and it may be reacting to today's "gasoline" and becoming gummy causing it to stick in the brass seat. Check with Stan Howe as he sells an excellent replacement needle and seat assembly that will have no threads in the area anywhere near the float. Good luck : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, February 19, 2018 - 11:33 pm:

I put one of Stan's needle and seats in my OF and it fits and works perfect. I have a couple of thousand miles on it now. email Stan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 02:47 am:

Had the same problem. Stan's needle kit fixed it. But don't bother him right now, he's fixing my 5 ball!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 10:52 am:

I have a five ball on the 09. When we started the engine around Christmas it ran just fine with the five ball so I may not need Stanís efforts on it. I did email him about the OF and he suggested I smooth out the unused portion of the thread.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration