Traffic Regulations - Hand Signals - New Zealand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Traffic Regulations - Hand Signals - New Zealand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 03:09 am:

Some things don't change - they just get "updated" !

I was reading my 1936 edition of the New Zealand road traffic regulations when I found the below picture explaining use of hand signals. Pretty cool art work too :-)

Jump ahead to 2018, and lo and behold, hand signals are still there in the road code, just "updated" a bit as far as the pictures go:

Hmmm, the '36 version certainly has more charm than the computer generated version of today - just like the cars!

Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 03:14 am:

When I do that people wave back. ?o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 06:17 am:

I dont think they teach hand signals in driver ed anymore. People wave like Richard said. Well.....they must teach hand signals but it must be short hand using one finger!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 06:41 am:

They do teach them in drivers ed still! At least mine did (this year). I'm in the US however... I doubt kids actually pay attention to them. I did, since I'll need to for when my T is done!

I'm pretty sure it's now changed to up is right turn, out is stop, and down is left?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 06:49 am:

Up is right turn. Down is stop. straight out is left turn. But it is not in the drivers handbook in Florida any more but somewhere I have my copy from when I got my license in '67.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 09:13 am:

Right turn hand signals are the worst ... everyone thinks I'm waving at them; both drivers and pedestrians. Now I put my right hand straight out to the right with my finger pointing if no one is in the car with me. If I'm driving alone I raise my left arm up [as usual with a right hand turn signal] but turn my hand to point to the right. Sometimes I find that if I open and close my fingers as if my hands are "blinking" other drivers are amused ... but actually get that I'm signaling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 09:14 am:

Pretty soon you won't need arms to drive a car! Ain't progress great!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 09:18 am:

In Michigan they modified the law so motorcyclists can use their left hand to indicate a left turn, right hand for right turns- I guess the left hand up for right turns was too confusing for younger and Facebook distracted drivers.

My big question to such bikers is how are you still alive if your motorbike doesnt have any working turn signal lights???
I have more and more friends bailing out from riding and selling off their motorcycles every spring because they feel it is just too dangerous to go anywhere on a bike these days. Riding one without a full set of warning lights seems suicidal these days.

At least a purist's pre- turn signal equipped "100% original" car gives you a bigger silhouette and some crash protection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 09:26 am:

How do you signal turning left in New Zealand?
In USA sitting on the left hand side and signaling with the left hand, I think pointing down means slowing down and pointing up means turning right?

In Sweden we haven't had hand signaling for closed cars since the 30's when trafficators became the norm and when I use hand signals in my very open primitive pickup I use both hands, one for each side I'm about to turn and harder to misunderstand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 11:55 am:

Today's kids only understand one hand signal..

Someone had to say it! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 03:43 pm:

Roger, we have no signal for left turn. Just use the "hand up" for "I am slowing down or stopping", then turn left. The idea is you are not pulling across the oncoming traffic when turning left (NZ is 'right hand drive' - opposite to EU and US/Can).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 03:57 pm:

When I got my motorcycle license 20 years ago I had to use hand signals to finish the driving test. The signals worked when I started the test then quit during the test. I asked the instructor if I could use hand signals and he said it was ok and I passed. In texas if a bike is equipped with turn signals they have to work. If you remove them they aren't a requirement to pass inspection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

Adrian,

Posted below is some Australian information from an old 1930's Motor Road Guide that I was able to rescue from the tip many years ago.

Best regards, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

About the only one used around here!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 03:08 am:

In actual fact, Adrian, there is a "I am turning left' hand signal.

Seriously! The driver was to indicate a left turn by pointing to the left with the left arm - more or less the same as a right turn - and following drivers were supposed to see this! And you know how small some of the rear windows were!

Yes! I am serious! I should try to find an illustration of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 03:05 pm:

I can remember my dad indicating a left turn by curling his arm over the TOP ( HOOD , in Australia ) and pointing left.

I am sure that was the practice here in the 1950's.

Best regards, John

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration