Grease seals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Grease seals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Thompson Graham NC on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 09:07 am:

i have read post that the lip seals pressed in the ends of the floating hubs should not be used and
another form of seal in the axle tube is better.
can anyone tell me what happens with the ones pressed in the floating hub? philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 04:44 pm:

Philip, the bore of the axle housing is a rough machining. It can also vary in diameter somewhat. The O rings supplied with some bearing kits are rather thick, perhaps to take up some of the varying gap and to be able to conform to the rough finish. They can be a little difficult to slide into position as the bearing carrier is positioned.

I do not use an O ring when I make mine. Rather, the bearing carrier has a generous coating of a flexible red Loktite flange sealant applied before it is slid into place. This makes a good seal which conforms to irregularities, while remaining flexible.

Others may differ.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration