Early wheels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Early wheels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lowell Fast on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 12:48 pm:

1913 touring: I have 3 wheels I assume to be original where the wooden rims are squarish in cross section and one on the front that is curved in cross section or roundish . I do not know the correct terminology for the early wheels and all the good old threads on many subject have been "closed by admin ". What do I have and what do I need to be asking for in a search to get a correct 4th wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

Actually it's curved one - rounded felloe is the term used here - that is more likely to be the original. The square felloe wheels was a cost cutting move, thus later or introduced some time in 1918.
Most will probably advise you to send your wheels to Stutzmann's wheel shop in Ohio for new proper hickory spokes and round felloes.
Photos of your wheels and the front hubs would tell more of what you have - if you want it really 13 authentic, you'll want hubs that looks correct, and they may be harder to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

Lowell, the wood part that connects the spokes to the rim is called a felloe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 02:27 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 02:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 02:31 pm:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-New-Wood-Fellow-Wheel-1913-17-30x3-With-be arings/122973317096?hash=item1ca1c7e7e8:g:iDYAAOSwDkVahdq6&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 20, 2018 - 03:24 pm:

My suggestion would be to get Bruce McCalley's Model T Encyclopedia on disk. Its wealth of information includes detailed coverage of wheels and hubs.

That eBay wheel is billed correctly in regard to the felloes, but the hub is wrong for a 1915-1917 front wheel.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration