Spark and Throttle levers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Spark and Throttle levers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 12:24 am:

Can anyone refer me to a post or something more detailed than Snyder's or Lang's catalogs to identify 7 spark and/or throttle levers that I have. If they're not for a 26 or a 27, I don't need them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 06:25 am:

Here's a post discussing the throttle and spark lever ends. Only thing special with 26/27 among the nickel era cars would be for the cars outfitted with a Vaporizer - mostly 1927 models - they would have the hole for the throttle arm rivet higher up, since the throttle link went over the head instead of through the engine.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/122273.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 07:30 am:

Some cars also used a clamp on the upper throttle rod to attach the vaporizer carb linkage to. My '26 Tudor had that type of arrangement. It was an early Dec. 1925 production car. I'm not sure if it was a factory item or dealer conversion. I have replaced the vaporizer with an NH, and donated the linkage to another T enthusiast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:24 am:

OK, I am aware of the Vaporizer throttle rod going over the engine; I have two of them and they are easy to recognise since they are so straight. The main ones that I am having trouble identifying at timer rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:28 am:

Roger, I don't know if I used the wrong terminology or if you misunderstood my question. Its not the spark and throttle rods IN the steering column; its the rods that connect from them to the timer or carburetor that I am having trouble identifying the year and usage of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:43 am:

Are you asking about the rod or the lever that is riveted on? Except for the design of the lever at the top the only real difference is the early rods used 2 rivets to hold the lever on the shaft and the later ones used 1. The rods length should be about the same for all years. ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 12:49 pm:

The timer rod is a bit longer for the '26 - '27 and the throttle rod has a pronounced "V" bend in the center - the earlier throttle rod has a slight bend on one end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

OK, T parts experts, here are two pictures of the rods that I am trying to identify. I believe all of them in the first three photos, to be throttle control rods to the carburetor. The single rod in the last photo, appears to be a timer control rod. Notice the rods in the first photo, have raised ridges just above the cotter pin hole to keep the rod from dropping too far from the cotter pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 05:22 pm:

Here are two more throttle rods. The single rod in the last photo, is a timer rod, if I am correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 06:23 pm:

Not sure about the top two, 26/27 vap carb (?), the bottom one is timer. The next two look like common throttle rods with some bending the rest maybe for use with a clip on type distributor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 08:15 pm:

Top left photo - top is ??? - bottom is Vaporizer.

Top right photo - possible "bent out of shape" '16 - '25 throttle rods.

Second photo set - not Model T !

Bottom is commutator, but what length ? Length determines year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 04:31 am:

Thanks to all. Steve, I have two 26-27 vaporizer rods which I will post photo of. One is NOS that I got from Bob's Antique Auto parts and the other is an original that I pulled with a motor from a rusted 27 TT truck. Both are bent exactly identical, and both are different from the bottom rod in the first picture. The rod in the picture has a bend in it which is difficult to see and separates it from the other vaporizer rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:28 am:

Please do - I also have an original Vaporizer rod with the collar and is bent like the bottom rod on your top left photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 01:40 pm:

This is the throttle rod that was on my '26. I haven't seen another like it. The steering column end has a cast lead connector that holds the lever pin and one end of a spring. Next to the block is another lead casting that holds the other end of the spring. The nut on the far right adjusts spring compression, I assume for throttle return. Has anyone seen one of these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 02:29 pm:

Mark, does your T have a foot accelerator pedal? The part you have pictured looks like the bottom end of a Williams Jr. accelerator, operated by a cast aluminum pedal mounted on the floorboard. If the part, pictured, does not have a flexible cable operating the rod inside the spring, you must have an aftermarket accelerator part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

After market foot-feed for sure !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 05:05 pm:

I don't have a foot operated pedal. The rod was too short to be a standard rod but some dolt bent the carb linkage to fit. I have a correct rod coming and this is being scrapped. Thanks for the input.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration