Old Photos-09-10- Fords

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photos-09-10- Fords
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 07:58 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 08:14 am:

Still learning but didn't 09-10 front fenders have no bills?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 08:25 am:

My '10 has them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 08:32 am:

I did some Googling of images after I posted and it seems the 09's and 10's could have either at least by the photos I looked at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 08:46 am:

T #1, or prototype, taken after Henry Ford's hunting trip/test drive in late September 1908, with no front fender "bill:"

Courtesy of THF, all rights apply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 08:52 am:

Gary...the encyclopedia says '09 had no front bills, whereas the '10s did. Just sayin. Always gonna be variances with these machines!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 09:39 am:

First picture, cropped, converted to grayscale with enhanced brightness and contrast.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:22 am:

My Aug 09 has bills, but then some folk tell me it's really a 10 model year car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

The vendor says Late '09 and '10 had the bill.
FWIW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

Tim,

Minor correction -- I believe the Encyclopedia says at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1909.htm that some of the later 1909 cars after about #2500 had the bills. From that ref it says:

EARLY 1909
(First 2500 cars)
FENDERS: Front: Uniform width top surface, with formed splash apron area. No bill on front. Rear: Similar in style to the front. Support irons were of the “butterfly” style that came out and up under the side of the fender splash apron, not through holes in the apron as in the regular production. These irons were integral with the rear body support.

(After first 2500 cars)
FENDERS: Front: Uniform width top surface, with formed splash apron area. Bill added on front. Rear: Similar in style to the front. Support irons were of the “butterfly” style and now passed through holes in the fender apron instead of under the apron.

FENDERS: Front: Uniform width top surface, with formed splash apron area. Bill on front. Rear: Similar in style to the front. Support irons were of the “butterfly” style, the same as the later 1909 cars.

Note Ford at that time often contracted for parts in batches. So there is a possibility that there was some overlap when both style front fenders were used. One example of that is engine #2448 was actually the first thermo-syphon engine and the car with that engine was manufactured on Apr 22, 1909 (ref page 480 of Bruce's "Model T Ford" that has a partial listing from the shipping documents. Engine 2455 was the second thermo-syphon engine and was placed in the car manufactured on May 1, 1909.

Note that same reference gives us the date when car # 2500 was completed -- May 4, 1909. It also has a partial listing of the cars in the serial number range 2,547 and 2,700 where he listed 22 of the cars. Those were all manufactured (not shipped but manufactured) from Apr 13 for car # 2,600 to Apr 29, 1909 for car #2,547 (with 2,700 manufactured on Apr 27, 1909). So "IF" they ordered 2,500 sets of front fenders without bills and then ordered them with bills clearly by May 1909 they would have been install front fenders with bills and possibly a little earlier (i.e. car with serial numbers higher than 2500).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration