How To Rebuild Holley N-H Carb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: How To Rebuild Holley N-H Carb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Tipton on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 03:46 pm:

I'm preparing to rebuild the Holley N-H carburetor on my 1915 T.

Who sells the best rebuild kit?

Also, any advice, it's my first rebuild.

Thanks,
David Tipton

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 04:14 pm:

A rebuild kit is a set of gaskets and they are all about the same. Now if you are asking about the other bits and pieces, you buy as needed. Lang's, Snyder's Bob's etc.
Mac's may sell a "FULL" rebuild master kit, do not know the quality of their kits.
Just do not get a gross jet, they are prone to sticking in an under seat gas tank car. You might get the carb book sold by the dealers and published by this club. Even if you only use it once you can recover part of the cost by reselling it here in the classifieds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 04:23 pm:

I believe that the rebuild kits are made by the same vendor.
That means the T parts suppliers kits would be the same. Seems like they use to be anyway. Maybe there are others that make the kits now. Others will chime in about how to do. It.
I followed the instructions in the Model T service manual. Worked for me. There are also several threads on the forum about issues with the NH's that are common. Probably the most common is getting the needle valve to seat to prevent leaking.
There are different opinions about repairing them which you soon find out. You can do it. I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 04:24 pm:

Dave, I've rebuilt a number of them. As for a "kit" you never really know what needs to be replaced until you get it apart. The basic casting comes in a couple different styles, the Holley NH and the Ford style NH made under license from Holley. I have found over the years that the casting and machining quality of the Holley's are generally better than the Ford units, but either will do the job. I drill the brass plugs out and clean the internal passages, then tap the holes and install set screws as replacement plugs. Replace other pieces as needed. I like to finish mine with POR 15 for looks and durability. The big three parts vendors all carry NH goods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 04:36 pm:

I will add, the bowl gaskets run on the small side so will need a little stretch to fit and fuel needle gaskets tend to be on the hard side, I make my own after see it suggest here on the forum out of lead.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/743582.html?1492151555

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

Check Tennessee T's website. Follow the link
http://tennesseets.weebly.com/uploads/6/8/7/0/68703495/the_holley_nh.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 06:55 pm:

Perhaps you already know this, but a Holley NH is not the correct carburetor correct for a 1915 Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:48 pm:

Ron is right. The Holley G (the version with a bronze body and a one-arm choke) is correct for 1915. But until I get one of those ready to use, my 1915 has an ordinary NH and it's fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Tipton on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 05:52 am:

Thanks for all the tips, it's appreciated. I knew the Holley G was the correct carb, however, the N-H was on the car when I bought it. When I come across a "G" in good shape I'll get it and put it on.

David Tipton

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration