Split rim will not align....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Split rim will not align....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 05:52 pm:

Got a tire tool, and took. the old tire off VERY easily. The new tire installed easily, too. HOWEVER, when I release the tool, the side with the tool on it aligns just fine, but the side opposite the tool will not align. Instructions? Suggestions? Prayers?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

Are you using the tool to push the rim into place? Do you have it latched? If the rim was aligned when you took the tire off it should be aligned when you put the new tire on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

Terry- can you post a photo "from above" the rim and tool attached, so that we can see the alignment. Most likely alignment of the spreader is the problem and a photo will help us see. Don't continue trying to spread the rim because improper alignment can ruin the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Mahoney on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

Terry,

This link will help you. Look at Jay's post near the end.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/741593.html

I've found that it's easiest to put the rim jack on the side of the rim that has the inside "lip". See the photos. If you mount it on the other side, you'll have a harder time getting it to pop. I also put talcum powder inside the tire and around the tube to help everything move during the assembly. Good luck! TM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

I made these two pictures today, but they don't really show what you were asking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 06:32 am:

I have used a turnbuckle on my split rims. Last year I also bought a proper split rim tool, but I found it harder to use than the turnbuckle :-)

If you haven't got any fitting turnbuckle - use your Ford jack for spreading the rim when closing it:

vrt

(Picture by Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Stryker on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:59 am:

I used a turnbuckle on another tire, and also a jack as the picture above shows - both with no luck as it spreads the side of the rim with the lugs, but not the other side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:14 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/37596.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

Good link, Mark :-)
The solution if the rim won't spread even would be Eugene V. Adams idea to use curved board pieces you can cut yourself:

tyj

uyi

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration