Check Out This Mess !

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Check Out This Mess !
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

In the process of a rebuild (not mine) and finished dis-assembly today - this T has been "on the road & rode hard" for many years and has had several sets of band linings replaced - perhaps it would be beneficial to pull the hogshead once in a while !!! You wouldn't believe the "GOO" that was stuck into the oil tube due to the end being plugged solid !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

Wow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

I imagine any oil that made it thru that tube was very well filtered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

Oh Dear!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

How were the rod bearings? Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:48 am:

That's a lot of lint!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:24 am:

I'm not pulling the lower end down to check because the block has water jacket cracks and mic. other "issues" - I'm replacing the block with a fresh rebuild.

I had to blow the tube out with 60 lbs. of air to clear it - nasty stuff in there !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:34 am:

My thought when seeing that first picture was, "What tube?" :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:04 am:

Kevlar bands destroyed the drums...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:19 am:

I'm wonder if the transmission drums were grooved or something was causing the wear enough to cause the lint. This is a T that would have greatly benefited by having a filter screen under the cover door.
But the question would be if they would have thought to check it whether from lots of use or not!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:26 am:

I bet they are still looking for their pet cat. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 12:19 pm:

It fortunately had a Ford Faithful type band access cover oiler - saved the bearings although that screen was pretty knarly too !

The low drum is scored beyond service so it's had only cotton bands in use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bartol on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

Looks worse than my dryer vent!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

Tim,

"The low drum is scored beyond service so it's had only cotton bands in use."

OMG! Cotton bands, imagine that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 01:12 pm:

It probably had the wrong kind of oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 01:28 pm:

Steve,

Cotton seed oil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

Might have been steel rivets - only the low drum ? I'll grab a photo later after lunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

Obviously one of the previous owners lost his shirt. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 05:05 pm:

Steve - One more testament to the effectiveness of the "Ford Faithful", right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 07:06 pm:

Yes, yes- just one of millions and millions of drums destroyed by cotton bands...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

All I run is Scandinavia lining - I do have a wooden lining on the brake band in my Gramps' TT.

And, yes Harold, I run Ford Faithful oilers on all 5 T's !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 08:24 pm:

Well Tim,

I don't know how long Kevlar has been around, but I know Model T drums have been wearing out and breaking long before Kevlar existed.

Nice portrait by the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

LINTEN season just started.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration