Redundant Ground Strap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Redundant Ground Strap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 10:55 pm:

Hey guys, has anyone run a "secondary" ground strap from the motor to the frame of their T? Mr. Milt Webb brought the suggestion up in the article he wrote which appears in the current issue of The Vintage Ford. My intention here is not to counter Mr. Webb's suggestion, but rather hear from others who have done this.

Right now I have new proper gauge cables, reconditioned starter switch and heavy copper ground strap. All connections are clean, including the point where the ground strap bolts to the frame. I guess my real question is, would it be worth the effort for me to add a "redundant" ground when taking into consideration my setup mentioned above?

Charles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:31 pm:

I have not done it, and so far that hasn't been a problem, BUT it can't hurt and in some cases may help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 12:20 am:

I have added a grounding wire between the engine and the frame. When I bought my T, the former owner did a fabulous job painting, and I had a really poor ground. I sipped the paint, and used a few star washers. I replaced the ground strap.

My T engine now turns over nicely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 01:00 am:

I do. I have a starter in an early car. I run a ground from a bolt just below the starter direct to the battery, and a ground on the other side from a bolt on the engine pan direct to the frame.

Be sure to clean all pint and rust from the connections, and use a little battery grease to keep everything protected and clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 08:42 am:

I need to do that yet on the one with a starter here.
The first time I used the starter, I saw a spark between the starter and the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 08:54 am:

You can't have too much ground unless you try to ground something that isn't supposed to be grounded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:26 am:

My engine was turning over a little slow even though it had a rebuilt starter. Mike Walker advised me to put on a better ground strap. I purchased a #1 size ground cable and cleaned off the frame to provide a better ground. I can't believe how nice the engine now turns over and starts so easy. One good ground is enough and adding more will not help. Just do the first one right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrett on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:35 am:

Think about it this way...Ford engineered it to have only one ground strap. Millions of cars operated for decades with only one. If your grounding contact points on the engine/frame are clean and bolts are good and clean (no corrosion or rust), and the bolts are tight, you won't need to go to all that trouble. Using a heavy-duty star type washer between the ground strap and the frame will help it bite into good sound metal and you will have good ground. The factory did it that way and it has always worked fine as-designed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:16 am:

There's so many more points of metal to metal contact on the T's components that it might seen redundant. Unlike modern's with the engine ect, insulated on rubber to kill vibrations the T has no such "problems". Even at that you could still have a grounding problem due to time age and dirt. It hurts nothing to add a strap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:22 am:

We totally disassembled the frame to repair rust and painted each part before assembly. At cruising the coast in MS, we picked up a heavy ground strap because I know I created a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

I have an additional just in case. My old t is in fairly good shape but has some "patinaed" spots that may interfere with grounding. Also since I have a lot of wood having another strap might not hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:31 pm:

Here's the original article from Uncle Milt in a pdf version. A very interesting read.

http://milttheinstructor.com/Six-Volt_Battery_Performance.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 01:20 am:

I've got one. -Believe it or not, it does help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 08:51 am:

I have a NOS genuine Ford ground strap on my '25 roadster, and it works just fine. I also had new wiring made from originals, with the Ford tags woven in too. Good wiring is a blessing, not to mention a good starter switch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 09:09 am:

I was taught long ago, and learned through experience, that a good ground is essential. When I changed over to 12 volts, I ran a cable battery to engine block, and battery to frame as the original set up. I also have several ground wires at various parts on the car. You would not believe the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 11:33 pm:

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to try it.

Charles

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration