Fan pulley bushings

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Fan pulley bushings
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:02 pm:

I installed new bushings, that I bought from Lang's, in a spare pulley that I had. The id of the bushings are too small for the bolt to go thru. Am I missing something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:03 pm:

Need to ream to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:05 pm:

After installing the bushings, ream to size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 08:56 am:

And I have no reamer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:02 am:

Tommy, I bought one on amazon. I believe it cost like $18. It's a very handy thing to have.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:03 am:

Find a small local machine shop. They will have reams and can do the job in minutes. If they charge it will probably be the cost of lunch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:15 am:

I was up at Langs and I purchased a new fan bushing and shaft. I took the bushing and shaft in hand and tried to assemble them quickly in front of Don. Of course they didn’t fit with a dumb look on my face I looked at Don and he said well you have to machine it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JD, Wichita, KS on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

Use a 2 stone brake hone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

JD, I thought about that but all I have on hand is a three stone hone. Will a two stoner go in a bore that small?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 06:16 pm:

If they are Oilite, do not hone. Only a reamer should be used on Oilite, honing is not recommended by the manufacturer.

https://oilite.com/Best-Machining-Practices

The following is taken from the above link

Honing and grinding are never recommended on Oilite® bearing materials. Using these methods on any surface which will become the bearing surface will introduce grinding media and could easily smear the bronze pores sealing the micro-porosity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 07:17 pm:

My old one was not that loose, really, so I put it back with the new felt and gasket. I will deal with the new ones later. Or someone will.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration