6 volt bra. 12 volt

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 6 volt bra. 12 volt
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Campbell on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:00 am:

I just purchased a ‘27 Roadster. It has not been started for 20 years. There is no battery. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to determine if it was converted to 12 volt before I try starting it?
Also, there is no ignition key,but the key slot turns easily with a screwdriver. Is that normal?
Thank you
Wayne Campbell
Great Falls, MT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Campbell on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:11 am:

.Sorry, that was suppose to say, “6 volt vrs. 12 volt”.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:15 am:

I was just about to ask my wife what a 6 volt bra would be!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:41 am:

Pull a light bulb and see if its a 12 volt. Putting a 6 volt in and trying to start wont hurt anything. Lots to do on a car that hasn't started in 20 years. Sounds fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 09:44 am:

Does it loo like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:04 am:

Does it have a generator or an alternator. If it has an alternator sure bet it is 12 volt if it has a generator there should be a tag riveted to it if it was a 12 volt that had been modified for use with the model T if it is a standard model T generator then I would say it is six volt.

Tim you would need 3 "Cells" to make 6 volts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 10:56 am:

When resurrecting a dormant Model T from its long snooze, Milt Webb's widely circulated checklist can be helpful.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG93.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

I'd start with 6volt with negative ground and go from there. See if someone had attached a Bendix spring to the starter motor.
We with 12 volt cars usually attach a bendix spring to drop voltage .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

You can also check one of the headlight bulbs or tail light.to see if its 6 or 12 volts as indicated by the part number. even if its been converted to 12 volts there is a good chance the starter is still 6 volts, if its has a distributor instead of the four buzz boxes it most likely 12 volt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 04:13 pm:

There are a lot of T guys in Great Falls, Kurt Baltrush, Tom Foster, Mark Smith, Arnold Schlagel, Harry Mitchell, John Rummel, the young guy at Fritz's Cadillac, Seth at Fritz's, etc. There is a pretty active T group there that runs a couple local tours a year. Give any one of them a call. I'm in Helena, John Steele in Manhattan, Tony Cerovski in Helena, etc., etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

Tim I imagine they loo like that. That your's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 07:12 pm:

No, this is the one I wear...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

If you fellows keep this up the T Parts vendors are going to start putting man(sieres) in their catalogs, or brass(ieres) for you pre 16 guys. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Campbell on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Thank you for your help!
Wayne

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration