1926-27 coupe "B" Pillar questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1926-27 coupe "B" Pillar questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:51 pm:

1926-27 coupe "B" Pillar questions
First of all, here are the pics:
B pillar coupe right
B pillar coupe left

The "B" pillar extends all the way down to the sill and attaches to the side of the sub-frame.
1) Does anyone have any pics of what this part should look like?
2) Is the bottom of this pillar open or closed? Pic from underneath?
The sub-frame does not yet have the sides welded to the outside where the doorway is.
The front steel covers (not pictured) of the pillars have been removed and seem to be in good shape.
The body skin folds around the pillar and then the front steel cover finishes it off.
3) How does the body skin attach at the bottom?
I'm confident that i could make something happen but would prefer to keep the same style. (The sub-frame is not the same style for lack of information.)
Thanks guys,
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 02:59 pm:

This is the best one I have Vern. If you save it to a folder, you can zoom in. Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Scott Hawthorne, Nv. on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

vern, will take pics of my coupe and post them tonight.

jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 04:44 pm:

Don,
It looks like it is closed (2).
Now for the first time, I see that the cross members go all the way from skin to skin, when zoomed in.
The skin folds under for about 1/2 inch. But still not sure how it attaches to the edge.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 04:48 pm:

This is zoomed and cropped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 04:52 pm:

I could be wrong and usually am but I think the skin is folded under and spot welded. If you look real close at that picture it appears to have spot weld pits about every 2 1/2 or 3 inches. Maybe someone can confirm or correct this...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 05:02 pm:

Same B-Pillar different angle..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Scott Hawthorne, Nv. on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 08:26 pm:

Vern,

Sorry I could not get the photos of my coupe Friday. Out of town first of week. Will get some photos and post them Wednesday 28th.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 11:49 pm:

Beside the rear window there are two more supports which sit on top of the rails on later improved T's. the earlier 1926s have the supports resting on the cross members. This one was missing the end but the other side was complete so I was able to get a measurement. I'm calling it the "D" pillar.
D pillar

I have started to sister up the two "B" pillars.
B improved right
B improved left

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Scott Hawthorne, Nv. on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

Vern, here are some shots I took this afternoon.
Hope they help.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:31 pm:

James,
This is awesome, things I have never seen before!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Scott Hawthorne, Nv. on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

Vern, Let me know if I can do more. You can see I have the rusted side panels cut out. Will clean up and seal before installing patch panels.

Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration