Mystery accessory gearbox ID??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Mystery accessory gearbox ID??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 12:28 am:

Our Kiwi friend Mark Dunn has acquired this Model T accessory gearbox. There is no name or other identifying marks cast into the case, but it is clearly made for Model T.

It is two speed (direct and low) with neutral. The top plate and attached U-channel etc is not original, but rather was made up by Mark to approximate missing parts.

Clue? An apparently-identical gearbox was advertised on the TradeMe site (a NZ eBay) as a "Woodward and Rowe" unit.

Related Question: Mark is wondering if Woodward and Rowe (W a R) might have evolved into the Warford brand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 01:11 am:

Here is my Woodward and Rowe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 03:27 am:

I don't know if it is the same or not? But many years ago, I had one, and a friend also had one, very similar to that (we both heard of a couple others as well). It was identified as a "Jumbo Junior", a companion product by the same people that built the better known Jumbo Giant transmission for Fords. Sorry to say, they were junk. Very difficult to shift (even by people used to Warfords and such like). There was no name on them. The shift tower was cast iron, very thin, and my friend's and one other broke the entire top cover into many small pieces. Probably the reason for someone making that replacement top/shifter. My friend was able to have his welded together (although I did offer him mine), and soon removed it from his car. Several people tried to use them in early brass Ts because they wanted to keep the early clam-shell rear ends, but wanted the intermediate gear for touring in hills (my friend's was an early '12). I haven't known of anybody having one for many years.
I never did have a chance to drive one myself and try to shift it myself. I wanted to try it, but about a year after my friend gave up on his, someone else in the Horseless Carriage Club offered me about twice what I thought mine was worth. I explained I had heard they were really bad, he said he wanted to try it anyway in his early brass T, so I sold it. I haven't seen one up close in about thirty years now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 12:17 am:

Thanks Jerome and Wayne, much appreciated.

Jerome, your W&R is considerably different than Mark's mystery transmission, which lends strength to Wayne's suggestion that Mark's could in fact be a Jumbo Junior particularly since the JJ was not identified on the housing and the top bits were fragile.

Any other comments?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration