21 tire flaps question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 21 tire flaps question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 02:22 pm:

I opened a tire flap that came in a plastic bag and i see it has some oil or silicone lube on them . Question - do i need to wash this out or install as is ?
Thank you ...Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 02:52 pm:

Always best to just coat the new tube and the inside of the tire casing with talc powder. That retards friction of the tube moving with the tire.

Use just enough so the powder doesn't clump up in the tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

Forgot to add, same with flaps too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

As a person who worked with tires for over forty years, when working with tubes and flaps, one very important thing to do is, after the tire is on, and had air added, be sure to remove the valve core and let all the air back out. This lets the tube relax, and wrinkles work out. At the same time, you need to check that the stem is straight as it comes through the rim, to present it being pinched off. After all is well, add air to the recommended pressure and you should be good to go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

So it is best to wash the[[ oil or silicone or what ever it is off]] and powder up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 10:20 pm:

I just put them together as received. I use RuGlyde on the beads to help them slide. A little soapy water will do the same as RuGlyde.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 11:37 pm:

I would think that if a steel or iron form of some kind was used in the making of the flaps, silicone would be the form release of choice.
If slimey, I'd wipe/wash it off and go from there.
I wish I knew more about new/fresh tire flaps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Bocchi on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 09:03 am:

5 new tires , tubes and flaps last spring. Tubes and flaps felt greasy out of the plastic. Rubbed them up with baby powder. Dusted inside of tire with powder wiped out excess. A couple of 24 inch tire spoons and let the fun begin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

What kind of wheels are these going on ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 08:45 pm:

1926 wood wheels 21 in. wheel split rim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration