Old Photo-Auto show 1912 Mt. Carmel Ill

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo-Auto show 1912 Mt. Carmel Ill
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 08:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C-west central, MN on Friday, February 23, 2018 - 11:59 pm:

Now that's a neat photograph!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 07:23 am:

Something when you think about it, of all those company's only Ford survived as the original company.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 11:10 am:

Dan, what about Cadillac and Maxwell (surviving today as Chrysler.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 11:22 am:

The way I took Dan's comment was that Ford is the only company there that didn't fail and/or get bought out/swallowed out by another company.

Boy, I would love to stroll down those isles and look at those gleaming new vehicles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

Yes Tod, that was my point, and that really says a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 04:41 am:

At the time of that auto show, Cadillac had been a part (and basically the centerpiece) of General Motors for a couple years. So one could well argue that the Cadillac (and Cadillac sign) are still surviving today as they did at the time of the photo. The Liberty Brush (sign) pretty well sets the year at 1912, as that was the only year Brush was sold as the "Liberty" model in a last-ditch effort to recoup some of the company losses from Benjamin Briscoe's failed United State Motor Company. Brush itself along with Maxwell was quite profitable for several years. Unfortunately, most of Briscoe's rapid-fire wheeling and dealing resulted in major losses for the parent company.
Another clue to the 1912 year, is that the Cadillac appears to have electric lamps, both headlights and side-lamps. 1912 was the first year for that on Cadillac, and most of the gasoline automobile industry.
Note that the car backed against the wall on the Cadillac's left (your right) clearly has acetylene headlamps and oil side-lamps. For the first half of 1912, Cadillac was one of very few major car companies to leave the factory with all electric lamps. Having been acquired by GM in July 1909 (I did have to google for the exact year and month), Cadillac would have been GM for two and a half years when this picture appears to have been taken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 06:22 am:

Wayne, you are correct that GM owned cadillac at this point, but the fact still remains that this was not the original company,only the name remained. The same was true of the rest of the GM line as they took over other car company's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 06:39 am:

I just realized that maybe Cadillac never was an original company because they continued from the remnants of a failed Ford startup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

Dan K, Something that I have wondered about several times over the years, but never tried to find out. Other than recent cars, like Tesla, are there any significant automobile manufacturers in the world, that are still owned by the founding family? Clearly, in the USA, Ford is the one and only. GM, as you say, is all acquisitions (even Pontiac is a spin-off from the acquired Oakland). However, world wide, there are so many companies that go way back, that I don't know enough of their history, or their current ownership (I don't even know who owns Mercedes Benz today?).
Something more to learn about I suppose.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration