Tie rod sleeve removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tie rod sleeve removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

Whats the best way to remove the split steel sleeves in the arms for the tie rod bolts. Heating them cherry red with torch and hammering them out with a chisel? They are much too thin to try to press them out. A new sharp hacksaw blade will cut them? The one I have, isn't making a dent in them, they're hard. Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 05:26 pm:

Doug. Try heating them as you said, but let them cool slowly and completely. Most likely they will tap out with little force. If that doesn't work, then try to split them. Make sure you use a Bi-Metal hacksaw blade. All blades are not created equal. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

Let us know how it goes. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 06:13 pm:

If you have an anvil use a pair of vise grips to hold the bolt then use a ball peen hammer to tap the sleeve as you turn the bolt on the flat surface of the anvil.
This method usually works on pipe fittings, rusted sleeve bushings and etc. without using a torch to heat it first.

It's a trick I learned years ago from an old maintenance man in our shop. Pretty simple but it usually works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 06:18 pm:

Sorry abt that! Your asking abt the arms themselves not the bolts. Do as David S says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

First of all they are called bushings! Second, put some penetrating oil on them, and support the bottom side, and drive them out with a bushing driver. Next, if you care about the car, I suggest replacing them with brass bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 10:39 pm:

Hey Larry you got a picture of that sleeve driver

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3820-44T.aspx

I think Larry means bronze, not brass.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration