Accidentally Wired Generator Incorrectly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Accidentally Wired Generator Incorrectly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

Today, I finished reinstalling my engine after a winter long project that involved replacing a cracked drum and doing some other much needed changeout of worn parts.

Before going to start it, I made all of the final electrical connections including installing the battery. I went to start it but the battery was near dead, which was strange since I had just charged it. I reconnected the battery charger. I noticed that my ammeter was showing about a 10A draw. I immediately disconnected the ground strap. I then started removing the all of the electrical connections I had made when reinstalling the engine until I found what was loading the battery circuit.

Long story short, I had connected the yellow/black wire to the generator output terminal instead of the hot side of the cutout. My amateur eyes apparently had mistaken the screw on the other side of the cutout as a mounting screw and the large output stud as a better place to make the connection. Dumb, dumb, dumb..

I corrected the wiring and the car started as expected. The ammeter seems to be showing charging and discharging, but I know enough to know this doesnít prove proper generator/cutout action.

I am trying to understand what damage I have may have caused to the charging circuit. I have a Fun Projects voltage regulator installed. Based on the instructions, it does not appear to be very forgiving to incorrect connections. Is there any way to test that it is still operating correctly? And finally what if any damage was done to the generator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 09:26 pm:

If it charges, you probably didn't damage the generator. And since both connections were on the same side of the cutout, probably did not harm it. If the cutout were not working, you would show a discharge when the engine was not running or no charge with the engine running. I think you were lucky. This could have caused something to get hot and burn.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 09:35 pm:

Norm,

The generator case was slightly warm. You are right, I was lucky (and now a little smarter).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 06:11 am:

Hopefully, John will chime in. This is purely from my not so great memory, but I think the damage to the FP regulator comes when you try to use a jumper across it to flash the generator, but I could be wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 07:18 am:

Bump - Iíd like to get some other thoughts on this if I could.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 05:49 pm:

If you connected the wire to the generator output terminal (the input to the cutout/VR), the VR wasn't in the circuit and should be just fine. If the generator is charging OK it is probably fine as well, but you could take the cover band off and see if it looks like any solder was thrown off the commutator.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration