21" split rims Mistake?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 21" split rims Mistake?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

Today I attended a swap meet and purchased a set of 21" split rims. I was so interested on the latch where the ends of the rims lock together, that I didn't notice the rims have no lugs on them. I am looking for rims to fit 21" rims like the 26-27 has. Did anyone make a rim with no attached lugs which fit this wheel? If not, does anyone know what vehicle those might fit? I don't have them here so cannot post a picture.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 10:23 pm:

May be Firestone rims ????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

There are a variety of rims for a variety of cars and a variety of lugs to fit the various rims. There may be a name of manufacturer on the rims then you would have to find the corresponding lugs to fit the rims. If the assembly is not compatible the rim can turn on the wheel and tear the valve. Some have locking rims, some have one lug welded to the rim to prevent rotating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

Kelsey produced 21 inch balloon style demountable wheels and rims for Ford of Canada for a short time. They have a total of 4 holes -- 2 on each side of the split in the split rim for a special tool that is used to spread them.

1926-28ish Chevy used Jackson wheels and rims with the removable lugs. See:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/226773.html
Chevy Disc Wheel Split Rims

Posting some photos of your rims along with the width etc. would be a great help when you can.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 07:05 pm:

Most car makes did not have lugs attached to the demountable rims. Most Fords, some Chevrolet. some Star, and some Overland are the notable exceptions. There were of course a few others, but most marques had loose lugs. So, your rim could fit any of a hundred marques from the mid '20s. Width of rim is very important for proper fit, as is whether the rim has a centering bead around one side that should fit against the felloe of the wheel (either wood or steel felloe). The Jaxon steel disc wheels used by Chevrolet and other GM marques (and others) during the '20s used demountable rims, no attached lugs, and no centering bead. They came in 21 inch size (as well as a few others) as well as different widths depending upon what year or marque they were intended for. The 21 inch Jaxon wheels have been adapted to use on many model Ts from the '20s till now. The wheels are fairly easy to find and get. The rims that fit them are a bit more difficult to get.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration