1909 Transmission Cover Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1909 Transmission Cover Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 11:23 pm:

My 1909 transmission cover has the number "2" below the inspection cover. I have also seen the number "1" on other photos of 1909 cars. Does anyone know if this number has any significance? Also, the right side of my engine block has the number "3" there which was part of the casting. Can someone shed some light on these numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 12:32 am:

My 09 block has the number 1 and it has the threaded hole on the right side. Does your block with 3 have the threaded hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 12:48 am:

Mold Numbers ? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 02:39 am:

As I recall, a mold number on the right side is one of the "tells" for an original block. Later blocks also have mold numbers, but they were somewhere else.
Of course, people that want to fake a block, can add some minor details, however, they rarely get them all. So the more of them you know? The better prepared you can be when looking at early cars or parts. And, no, I am not enough of an "expert" to know more than about half of them yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 09:03 am:

Tony, Are you referring to the hole with the screw just below the serial number boss? Yes mine does have that if that is what you are referring to. My block does have the Ford Script on the left side. Block is number 7233

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 10:31 am:

Daniel,

I am NOT an authority and follow these topics primarily to try and educate myself if I ever have the opportunity to obtain an early block or car.

That being said, in reference to your question about the mold mark (number 1, 2 or 3) appearing on the right side of the early blocks, there have been some very good discussions in the past. I believe the red arrow points to the number you refer to.

The consensus has been that there are examples of '09 and '10 blocks that have, and do not have, that mold number mark. It doesn't seem to be anything other than a way Ford kept track of which mold a block came out of. Also, it doesn't seem to be a determining factor that the block is "real" or not.

There seems to be a number of early '09 - '10 cars with open valve blocks "created" from later enclosed valve engine blocks.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 12:25 pm:

Thanks Ken for your input. The 09 I recently picked up did not have much of a history to it, so I am trying to authenticate everything I can. Where in Texas are you located? I am in San Antonio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

Daniel,

I'm in Houston.
A number of years ago there were some very good threads regarding authentication of the early blocks. I saved one in particular that has some great pictures and comments but it also contained some heartache I would rather not start again. The above picture was one of many very good ones from that thread.

If you care to post a few pictures, I'm sure you can get some of your questions answered by those that know far more than myself. Fun stuff that a lot of us enjoy and we would love to see pictures of car #7233!

PM me if you wish.

Ken in Houston Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 01:38 pm:

Tony are you referring to the threaded hole below No. I cylinder on the drivers side. I thought only 1910 blocks had the hole I think you are referring to. Correct me if I am wrong.
Re the mold numbers on the passenger side of the block between the rail and valve galley, I have seen nos 1 through 5 on open valve blocks, but never a 5 on a 09 or 10.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration