Brass radiator replacement core

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Brass radiator replacement core
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

My 15 has an excellent brass shell but the core has been repaired numerous times and now is leaking bad again. Where can I get a new core, and/or who can recore it for me. Iím in Western MA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

The rest of my T repairs are on hold for now until I can get this fixed $$$$$

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 02:36 pm:

If you don't find somebody closer, you can send it to Tom Nolte. He did a Model K radiator for Rob, so I had him recore the one for my 1915 T.

TOMíS RADIATOR SERVICE
2341 184th Road
Sabetha
KS 66534
(785) 284-2080
tomnolte@sbcglobal.net

He's in a farming area, so ag equipment repair comes first. He does the antiques between farm equipment jobs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 02:58 pm:

Neil send it to Bobs radiator in agawam ma he does all of my Radiators

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charlie haeckel on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

I also need a new core for my 27. Has anyone used valley radiator service in Canton Connecticut? thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 09:34 pm:

Charlie Go with bob and save yourself some money and time Valley is good but he charges too much

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 10:36 am:

Neil - sending you a PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 07:00 am:

Thanks for all the contacts. Looks like Iím going to try to burn the old epoxy repair out and get it properly repaired first. To get it recorded is as much or more then a new one. Iím a not questioning the prices, itís got to be a huge amount of labor to do a good job of these brass radiators.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 09:53 am:

If the repair doesn't cure the leaks, or if it cures them but the radiator can't radiate sufficiently anymore, the recore is hundreds of dollars less than a new one. My recore was around $800. A new Brassworks is over $1200.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

There is a good reason that recores are not popular for those early brass radiators.

The old brass becomes very brittle as it ages and heat accelerates the process.

Perhaps 25 years ago, I asked a popular radiator rebuilder in Indiana why he did not offer rebuilt radiators with new cores.

He told me they were nothing but trouble and people wanted the new radiator guarantee and they seldom lasted that long.

A friend popped the top front seam on an early radiator and a local repair shop did a good repair, as far as holing water, but the radiator could never be put on a car for a show. There is solder all over and above the area that previously leaked.

Recores normally do not last any time at all, so you might better put your money up front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 09:15 am:

Set up the radiator on some metal saw horses yesterday in the warm sun and slowly burned out the epoxy . Guess what I found behind the epoxy? Silicone! It took me three hours to get that out. One more small section to do. Then I think itís ready for a dip tank to clean it up so I can see if itís repairable. Updates to follow. Didnít do a before picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 11:17 am:

I've seen cracks in brass, but in the case of leaking seams I would think that means cracked solder. Either way, it's too bad that the new radiators don't match the originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 11:31 am:

Is that an old reproduction radiator or an original that has a modern core? It doesn't look like an original round tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

Last time car was registered before I bought it was in the 40ís so Iím not sure when the flat tube core was installed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

Update on my radiator. The old recored flat tube is beyond repair. After cleaning out the epoxy and silicone I found 8 tubes that had been pinched flat to try to seal them. I still havenít found anyone who wants to recore it. Help!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 01:17 pm:

You probably want to avoid the expense of shipping by finding somebody close, but I doubt that's going to happen. Folks who can and will do the job are few and far between. If I need another one recored I'll send it to Tom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 01:47 pm:

Neil,

If you do not want to ship it out of state to someone mentioned, then I'd suggest you meet a local guy halfway in the homework needed.

'Fat' modern cores for cars are non-existent...but many fork lift radiators are in fact 'fat' to the same dimension as the T core!

I had a shop blow me off once, but he did half suggest that if he had the time and patience he 'might' be able to find a forklift core that could work. I asked him if he had a sizing catalogue and he said 'yes'. I spent the next three hours pouring through sizing, and did find one that had the right height, did have the right depth, but was 2.5" too wide. :-(. I was ready to pack him in and I just happened to ask him...can you make a core narrower? His answer was 'depends on tube spacing' and my counter was 'even if you came close it would be close enough! Then it is just a core change, right? ' and 5 minutes later we had a deal!

I think it was from a Clark forklift, but that was a long time ago. Yes, there is like a 3/8" air-gap on each side between the core and the side piece , and yes it was flat tube, and yes it is now 35 years later...but the transplant WAS possible for a guy with a pocket change budget at the time

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 05:50 pm:

Only 8 tubes; think I'd give it a try!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 06:01 pm:

Ford put a support bar through the radiator for a reason, repairing that one could be wasting your dollars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

Frank has a good point there. Another thought though, if you take off the side brass piece, you can really get to those tubes, they all appear to be close to the side. You may want to just undo the bottom of the side, I think it's riveted to the top tank bottom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 06:32 pm:

Bought a used radiator off this site Saturday. Soldered on the cross tube for the headlight wire off my old radiator. Installed today and fire it up. No leaks

Suppose to be a nice week weather wise. Time to take her out for a run. Next project get my coils adjusted and a new timer. Anyone in my area able to help me check my coils?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza north Adams ma on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

Hope to see you out and about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 21, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

The problem with Neil's radiator is it doesn't have the stiffener plate in the core, and if the frame flexes someday, it may weaken the core. Ford used those stiffener plates for a reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 08:31 am:

The stiffener plates in the core are there for a good reason. However, If you never drive crosswise thru a ditch, and refrain from driving places that will cause a great deal of frame twisting, then you will likely never have a problem without one! In 1926 & 27 some Ford radiators had no bar in them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 11:23 am:

A couple of years ago I bought an old brass radiator that required a recore. Brassworks sold me a new core for $500 and I disassembled all the brass. As someone mentioned earlier, the old brass was very brittle and after about 30-40 hours of effort and lots of solder, I gave up. The old brass was cracking along most of the folds and the solder was very visible, not acceptable.
If anyone wants to buy the core, it is available at an attractive price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Tuesday, May 22, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

Tony I wish you had chimed in at the beginning of this thread. If I can get serval years out of this Radiator Iíll be happy. Even a quick trip out for ice cream a few times a week will make me smile.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration