While you're at it . . .

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: While you're at it . . .
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 02:24 pm:

Overhauling the rear axle on my '13, discovered the torque tube is cracked almost half around. Something else to look at when you check the health and overall soundness of your running gear !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 02:47 pm:

My 21 was cracked at the other end, and inside the casting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 05:15 pm:

I heard that if you send it back to the factory they will replace it with a new one, just like driving a t back to Detroit they will give you a new Ford.wink, wink.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

Replace or weld?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 05:30 pm:

Replace!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 07:33 pm:

Mine was cracked also and two piece tubes are hard to find so I took a 14 tube and put the two piece casting on the 14-19 tube. A couple of rivets and it was good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 25, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

That is a significant stress point. I am surprised more haven't broken there. Likely at some time in the past (when manufactured ore maybe repaired), it was brazed at that point (some torque tubes were brazed there at the factory). Brazing helps stabilize the pieces and prevent stress from loosening the rivets. Brazing adds considerable strength to the unit. However. IF (that big IF again) the workman doing the brazing gets the iron just a few degrees too hot? A remarkable thing happens. The iron and the brass instead of acting like an adhesive making the part stronger, melt together into a brass/iron alloy. That alloy is extremely brittle, and has very little strength at all (it is almost like a piece of glass). Even a microscopic error, can result in a point that will shatter (like that piece of glass) and end up with a fracture that grows to an ultimate failure.
Any sign of brazing around there? I saw a similar failure (actually on a torque tube) several years ago. It looked just about like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, February 26, 2018 - 09:44 am:

I wondered about a post-mortem, a thought occurred to me, but I hadn't considered bad brazing. Tearing down, I found the radius rods were loose at the foreward end - that couldn't be good, and of course all the fun things that happen inside the diff when thrust washers disintegrate cause a lot of additional stress I'd think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 06:03 pm:

A thorough clean-up revealed the crack ran even further than I first thought - the area between the arrows was all that was holding it together !

Got it welded today, I reckon it's probably good for another hundred years !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 07:19 pm:

I have 1913-14 rear end with axels and insides. If someone close by needs one it is available.

Darel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

I would suggest reinforcing your repair by sliding a length of 2" water pipe inside the tube. Drill a few " holes thru your torque tube and plug weld the pipe to the tube and then put a weld around the very end. The torque tube steel is not the best, and you may find a crack adjacent to your repair in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, March 02, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

Thanks for the tip Dan ! Good idea !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 01:19 am:

Hey Rich B, I tried to send you a reply to your reply, however I got a "failure" notice saying it was not deliverable? Probably part of your phone and computer thing.

Looking forward to the final results of your repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 03:29 am:

I also sent a message and "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" was noted. I resent it a few minutes ago. I hope it gets there.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:45 am:

Hoo boy. I didn't get either one. Now I have to see the gnomes !! Sorry fellows, I was expecting some notes from you both, and others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, March 03, 2018 - 09:52 am:

I will resend the message when your equipment is up and running. In the mean time Joy and I are unable to meet for lunch next week. Sorry, perhaps when she gets back on her feet and the weather gets warmer.
Get your rear end together and have some fun.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration